Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have gotten some wonderful info from all of you. I have decided not to be a guardian family for a labradoodle as I can't convince my husband. He is very nervous about the contract. This is fine. I am looking at a reputable canadian breeder (Thanks for the referral Maureen!) who has Aussiedoodles!! They are stunning dogs and I have fallen for them. They also fall within my budget of approx ($1200-1500 including shipping).

My question: What are aussiedoodles? They look beautiful but are they as predictable in temperment as a labradoodle or goldendoodle? I have 2 boys under 6 years and temperment is of upmost importance. My golden retriever that passed earlier this summer never bit or snapped once in her entire 12 years (oh, except for golphers).

I will do some research today but am wondering what your thoughts are as you have been so helpful in the past! Thanks!

lily

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
An aussiedoodle is a cross between an australian shepard and a poodle. The few I have met were much more high energy than our labradoodle, kind of like wind up toys on drugs. The breeder should be able to tell you about their personality in detail.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
First person that comes to mind for aussiedoodle (australian shepher x Poodle) is Nikki at Blazing Star she is in canada
I have a mini litter due in a week but i dont ship

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I would do some research into the personality of an australian shepard...I know nothing of the breed.

One thing I can tell you - our Kirby is an Irish Setter doodle. He def has a very different personality than Dexter (F1B labradoodle). He is more high strung and what we like to call "nervous". He may still be settling into our home, but he is more high strung. It's hard to explain, but he'll settle down, and then suddenly just jump up and run around the house. Dexter definitely has his moments, but he is more mellow and laid back (not sure if this is due to him being 75% poodle or the lab side).

We love Kirby dearly, and he is a friendly playful dog (like Dexter) and very much a doodle. I would just suggest for you to look into the personality traits of the shepard to compare them to the lab or golden. I can see differences between what I perceive of setter vs lab traits.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie good point :D

just as goldendoodles and labradoodles are very smilar in many ways but also have their differences

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone. Nancy, it was really helpful to read that section on your website. I will let you all know what I decide! I am a bit concerned about how much energy these guys might have compared to a goldendoodle or labradoodle. It will be walked daily and be with us when we do activities but I'm not sure if that will be enough?

lily

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
To tell you the truth i think a aussie is much mellower then any Lab i own
and they are more willing to learn, this is my personal observation
in raising and training aust shepherds,
in fact im downsizing my labradoodle lines in order to do aussiedoodles

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
FYI Australian Shepards do have known eye problems a friend of mine raises them and shows them in the show ring and another does agility trials, neither will breed until after they turn 3 years old and after yearly eye cerfs.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again. Sounds like the aussiedoodles may be a great dog. I will look into the eye concerns also. Appreciate the information.

lily

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
gracielou said:
FYI Australian Shepards do have known eye problems a friend of mine raises them and shows them in the show ring and another does agility trials, neither will breed until after they turn 3 years old and after yearly eye cerfs.
My Experience , Numerous years breeding aussies and collies, I have never had any eye issues
and since you have to re certify them every single year... the tests are really not fool proof, what do you do with the pups you have produced if they come up one year with eye problems?
there is no genetic marker ,so its impossible to gurantee it wont happen,
imo, a worthless test, and it cost more money then it is worth,
thankfully outcrossing to poodle should help reduce problems such as this

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
all i can say is that a friend of mine has an australian shepard and they truly are sweet smart dogs!!

and i would think the cross would only enhance that mixture along with possibly be a low shedder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts