Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, we've graduated from puppy class to beginner obedience. Last week Mia was a star pupil but this week she decided to be the class clown.

Do dogs have ADHD? For a dog that started out shy and retiring in her first puppy classes she's become the one who wants to entertain everyone else rather than getting down to work. Kind of reminds me of my son when he was in elementary school. :?

It can be a little disheartening though as she does everything quite well during the week at home and even when we're out in the neighbourhood, but once we walk through the door of the obedience class it all goes out the window. :(

Oh,well she is just a baby but the trainer is convinced she's (that is Mia) is training me rather than the other way around :roll:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kathryn....guilty as charged! :wink: Me, that is. Sounds just like Jonah was in class. Just like I was in school. I'd rather look out the window or make some one laugh. My trainer had said that puppies are like teenagers, you can't let them get the upper hand cause they'll keep it!! :lol: I'm a wimp, now I have to wait for age to set in to get the hand back...his age, not mine! too late for that! :wink:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hahaha Kathryn! :lol: Dakota has been through puppy, intermediate and is now in clicker training. He has ALWAYS been the class clown! With his antics, he would actually draw a crowd outside of the training area to watch and laugh at him! :roll: But he was always teachers pet (no pun intended) because whenever a new command was taught, he was always the first dog to get it. He now has a new instructor for his clicker class and she is less amused than his last instructor--she suggested I keep his Gentle Leader on during class to control him better. That's what I did last night and IT WORKED!! No antics, no lunging at his 3 classmates to try to play. He hates his Gentle Leader so I was afraid he would be distracted and not work with me but that wasn't the case. He was just a well-behaved, attentive boy (provided the treats were within nose-shot!). You might want to give the Gentle Leader a try. Good luck to you both!
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahaha...this is our doodles...and why the world can't help but love 'em! (Except for the scrooges of the world...but they'll be won over in time!)
I say that we need our dogs to be good citizens for their sake and ours...but I am soooooooo glad that we are not part of the AKC and worried about show qulaities ... and that our dogs are meant to bring and experience pure joy in life. That they do better than anyone or anything else on earth!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jac said:
and that our dogs are meant to bring and experience pure joy in life. That they do better than anyone or anything else on earth!
Jac....you are soooooo right on the money!! Bravo!! :lol:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diane ... you're lucky your doodle will work for treats. Mia couldn't care less about treats, in fact I now have about 10 different kinds of treats in my search for the perfect one.

It very weird, she'll take the treat for the first go at training a new skill but then spits it out and won't respond to treats again. Sometimes she'll work for a favourite toy but even that doesn't last long. That's why I'm convinced she has some kind of attention deficit!

The only thing she really goes nuts for is an extremely smelly canned tripe that I sometimes put on the end of a spoon to get her to follow me at a heel. It's also what I use in small quantity with her regular food to get her to eat it in one sitting rather than nibbling all day long. Maybe there's a tripe-scented perfume out there that would make her follow my every move, hahahaha :lol: Not so sure my husband would like it much.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Thanks, Gene!

Kathryn...have you tried tiny pieces of hotdog? (You can use the healthy kind if you want...) cut it up in abour 1/4 inch squares...or break of tiny bits...my dogs will do anything for hotdogs!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip Jacque ... I'll try it and let you know if it works. I had actually overheard a woman at my obedience class last night talking about hotdogs and about mixing them in with other treats so that everything smells like hotdog.

At this point I'm willing to try anything.

The thing that is so wierd is that at home Mia sticks to me like glue ... so much so that sometimes (because she's a mini) I almost step on her when I get up from the table or move from one room to another.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
OK, I just tried a new treat. Our instructor started using it and Dakota LOVED it so I bought it. His new "trick" is to crawl, and after only two days he will crawl across the livingroom for a little tast of this treat. It's kind of stinky (maybe that's the secret) --might be worth a try: Low Fat Natural Beef and Beef Liver Coated Meaty Sticks. I got them at PetSmart. Hang in!! :D
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
kathryn...i used to boil chicken liver and cut it into tiny pieces for training. Another thing they love is cheese again tiny pieces...and ummm oh yeah bologna

I love reading your training stories hahahhahaa makes me feel better when Max misbehaves.
I have NOT signed Max up yet as I doing the obedience training i learned in thepast with a huge agressive dog I fostered for awhile. HOWEVER Max really should get formal training and I need a refresher hahahhaa
Something tells me the gentle leader is the trick....and YES doodles all have attention deficit disorder, same way teenagers do..or is it called selective hearing? hahahhaha

OH kathryn max used to eat like your doodle till he got a tad older. Around 5mos old he finally ate dinner all at once and only eats what he wants and leaves the rest now.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Kathryn,

Under the heading of misery loves company-

I 'm sorry Mia is giving you a hard time at puppy school, but relieved to hear that Lexi is not the only "hyper-doodle" in class. My Lexi is by far the most hyperacive of all the puppies in her class.

She is almost 6 months now. How old is Mia?

To those of you with older Doodles- does it get better with age?

Maddie and Lexi

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This week was better at obedience class. I had CHEESE! Mia will do anything for even a taste of cheese on my fingers.

It was kind of funny though because one of Mia's classmates is a two year old Staffordshire Terrier -- a recent rescue dog that is the sweetest thing ever, which puts the lie to the notion that a whole breed can be branded as dangerous -- who is obsessed with cheese. The fact that I had cheese with me meant he couldn't pay attention to his mom & dad no matter what they tried.

Mia (who's almost 6 months old now) looked like a star pupil because she stuck to me like glue. Reminded me of a story I heard in the fall about a company in England that has developed a Stilton-scented perfume :shock: ... maybe there's a market for a Cheddar-scented cologne :idea: :lol:

·
Registered
558 Posts
We all are trained by our doodles..lol...I know we wouldn't have it any other way. They know when its time to play...and play they will whether its our "play time" or not.,,They are sometimes to smart for their own britches..lol..or ours..and then just give you that LQQK and all is forgiven..

·
Registered
126 Posts
My Charlie is crazy for cheese too but I also have discoverd he loves vanill pizzells - really - I knew my cat loved them (and cheerios) but the vanilla pizzells were a surprise for the dog.

I was just sitting and eating one and he actually growled (Charlie doesnt bark or make a sound unless harassing the cat) the growl was very low and only meant as an attention getter but it was funny to hear him.

As for walking him - he heals very nicely but today got a bit ahead of me (we have had a lot of freezing rain and I was too slow I guess) and all I did was go "ah hum" and he healed immediately. He knows, he knows.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts