Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find a place to take Napa to go play in the snow. I've been watching the news all week, hoping for some clue as to where to go. We are in Sonoma Valley, so finding snow will be a trip. I don't want to say plan to go to Mt. St. Helena, or Mt. Diablo, get there, and find no snow. But I can't find any reports in the news, or online. I'm willing to go to Tahoe or the Sierras, if that's the closest place where there's snow. But, if I don't have to..... I'd rather stay closer. I just can't get more information other than "mountain snow" in the forecast.

I'm just very confused. I'm used to New England weather reports where they tell you exactly whose going to get snow, rain, mix, and how much (granted they're wrong most of the time).

I've also got just about a year and a half left out here, and I'd really like to explore more of the area, especially up North here. I've only been to Napa Valley, most of the Concord area, San Francisco, and Tahoe....

So, any help would be great!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Go East young woman! :lol:

You will find snow if you head east on Interstate 80 or Hwy 50.

I think there might be snow as low as Placerville (hwy 50), Colfax (I80)maybe lower, but it won't last long. For sure there will be snow at Blue Canyon.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How far up 80 do you need to go before you're required to use chains? I don't have any for my car, and if I do need to get them to go to the snow, do you know how much they are? All of this is new to me. RI is flat, so we don't need chains.....

·
Registered
337 Posts
If the roads are clear you won't need chains. If go during a storm usually they are needed around 5000 feet and to get over the summit. You should be fine if you are only going high enough to find snow to play in.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome thanks!

We tried to go last weekend, but it turned out to be a bust since Anthony's dad didn't want to take us. So perhaps we'll go this weekend... especially before the semester really gets going.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Lucky Me said:
How about Mt. Shasta? Our ski park recieved more snow than all the other parks this year. It's BEAUTIFUL!!!
http://www.shastahome.com/
HAHA you beat me to it!!! Head for the Trinity Alps forget the 80/50 nutso skier scene. Once you see the Trinity River a world class Steelhead stream and the surrounding area you'll have found something very special...mtd

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have seen the Trinity Alps from the Pacific Crest Trail in the fall, they are SO BEAUTIFUL!!! However.....this time of year you would have to hoof it in there or snow mobile. From the south end...I am in touch with a couple that bought 2 of my puppies ,and live in Weaverville. They have 5 feet of snow in their yard! I wouldn't want to drive there now. Despite the storms, CAL Trans has done pretty good keeping I-5 clear. Actually..Mt. Shasta is an easy drive from the Bay Area. You just have to pay attention to the weather from Redding to our area, a 75 mile stretch.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh... I totally bought a brand new 4 gb memory card for my brand new camera for last weekend, when we were supposed to go to the snow. So, as soon as Napa goes to the snow, everyone will know.... I promise!!!!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Paintsmeblue said:
Oh... I totally bought a brand new 4 gb memory card for my brand new camera for last weekend, when we were supposed to go to the snow. So, as soon as Napa goes to the snow, everyone will know.... I promise!!!!
You need to fill that up with happy Napa pouncing and diving in the snow!! There's nothing cuter than a dog playing in snow :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts