Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...and wait and wait and wait for my little pup to be ready to come home ( :wink: Diane...) I've been researching some books on trainiing techniques that would ultimately supplement the training classes in which I will enroll my pup.

One book that I see often recommended is The Dog Listener by Jan Fennel. Looking for a variety of opinions of this book, I came across this review.

The writer of this review is extremely critical of the author and her claims and methodology. So what's going on? - does the book reviewer have an agenda for trashing the book? Is the book really the self-serving drivel the reviewer claims it is? Have any of you read the book and found it to be sound advice?

Which is the most agreed-upon method/book/philosophy/technique of basic dog behavior education for new puppy owners?

Thanks for your opinions :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I've not read that particlar book...but you will find that people who teach different methods are strongly against people who teach opposite methods. Find one that works for you and don't worry about one or two bad reviews.
Look for a loving correction method...no violence at all. Dogs are very smart and don't need to be "bumped on the nose" or hit with a newspaper or slapped on the butt...or squirted with bitter apple in the mouth...(I know people will come on here and say that I am wrong...which only proves my point...everyone believes differently.)
Each dog is different, each owner is different, each method and trainer is different. So find something that speaks to your core values and use it.
In my experience, kindness, praise and love are all my dogs really need...sometimes treats! LOL

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies; I think you're both absolutely on target.

As weird coincidence, my friend the PWD breeder emailed me a link to a book, written by a woman with whom she's taken a few courses with her her dogs.

http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails_Revi ... lReviews=1

Since she's met the author, and I completely trust my friend's judgment when it comes to dogs, I'll give this book a go.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definitely will!

·
Registered
260 Posts
personally, i am a big fan of Patricia McConnell (http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com/s ... ?StaffID=3). her book "the other end of the leash" really helped my fiance when we first got kumo -- who was his first puppy ever -- to sortof get inside the doggy brain. a lot of the book is about how humans and dogs think differently, and by gaining a better understanding of how dogs think, it is possible to communicate our expectations more effectively and to understand their behavior rather than just react to it.

i had the opportunity to attend a lecture/demonstration by Patricia McConnell when i was an undergrad at the U of Wisconsin-Madison -- she taught an animal behavior course that my roommate was taking. one day instead of meeting in the classroom, the class met in this sortof livestock ring building on campus, and Dr. McConnell brought her border collie and some of her sheep and did a demonstration. it was so cool to watch!

anyway, i really like her approach to training, and she has written a lot of specialized pamphlets with step-by-step guidelines for certain things. i think you can order them from her website, but i've also found some of them on amazon. two thumbs up from me (and a paw from kumo)!

-em

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the input em :) I'm open to anything that people find effective.

I did read the book I mentioned above from cover to cover, and it's fantastic. It addresses every question I had, and it makes sense to me, and fits my overall plan for when I get Dexter (7 days, but who's counting? :wink: :p )

Anyway, I do recommend the Pam Dennison book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts