Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on this forum! We've had our 9-week old girl, Chai, for about a week and I am learning so much here. :mrgreen:

I have been looking at other sites and had no idea of the "politics" involving labradoodles. It seems like most purebred owners think they are at best, ridiculous and at worst, irresponsible. I was able to ignore this because our girl is so cute and smart and well, what do they know. :wink: HOWEVER, I took Chai into the vet yesterday and she (the vet) was acting super judgemental and telling me things like how she loves labs and loves poodles, but for completely opposite reasons. She also told me Chai is basically a mutt and has never seen a labradoodle without some kind of problem. :shock: Obviously, we will not be seeing this vet again but why the extreme prejudice against these sweet dogs???

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's something I've read about but never experienced. In fact I've never had as many positive reactions to any dog I've owned as I've had with Bailey.

Some people recognize her as a Doodle, most want to know what she is because she's "The cutest dog I've ever seen". She always draws a crowd at pet stores and I have 4 people that work at my Vet that have all asked if they could take her if I go out of town. My dog trainer had never met a Labradoodle and she bought one after working with Bailey.

I guess some people are "dog snobs", but I haven't met any. I think people who love dogs for being dogs (and not for being some kind of weird status-symbol) love Doodles.

G

·
Welcome Cloverdoo!
I am sorry you had to experience rudeness in the first joyful moments of puppy ownership. I would have liked to have responded, "Wow, that's a coincidence, because I have yet to meet a vet who has not had an attitude problem." :lol:
Actually, I had a bad 1st vet experience, too. The receptionist was distant and cold, never once saying how cute Bella was...c'mon even UGLY puppies are cute! Then the vet proceeded to tell me that Bella had a lot to learn!....Ummm, she's a PUPPY!.... and that she should NEVER have any people food and she should NEVER be allowed on furniture and in fact he said, "My 8 y/o German Shepherd is kept gated in the kitchen at all times". I RAN from that vet and found a wonderful, caring vet one town over.
Let this bad experience go and enjoy your wonderful new puppy! We want pictures!!!!!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Before we bought our Labradoodle we were told by a friend of a friend who is a vet not to. She has six in her practice right now being treated for some significant health issues.

My opinion on that is that since Labradoodles are so popular right now, too many people are breeding them for a quick buck without taking genetics into consideration at all. ( I called several of the ads in my local paper and found this to be the case before deciding to go with a breeder and paying a bit higher price for a quality dog. ) They aren't testing the parents and are just pairing any two dogs together. This is resulting in a large number of dogs with health problems and is giving Labradoodles a bad rap.

My husband does have a coworker that couldn't believe we weren't going with an AKC dog since our "mutt" wouldn't help our kids obtain college scholarships if they wanted to compete in shows or agility. My opinion is that the local 4-H club wouldn't care about the breed of our dog and that was good enough for me!

Post some picture!!!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Welcome cloverdoo! And, congratulations on your new puppy. I bet she's adorable.

I, too, have experienced some prejudice against my doodle. My vet's receptionist said to me "Dr. wonders if these dogs will have lots of problems. If they will have the worst of both breeds". Grrrr. I've had good experiences there with my other pets so I decided to stay with him to see if I could change his mind. On my first visit there with Doc the vet did say "he seems like a real nice dog".

There are alot of ignorant people out there, but, there are alot of others who absolutely adore the doodles!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Welcome Cloverdoo!

When Cinnamon was a pup, we had several reactions to the "what's a labradoodle?" question. All of them were "I've never seen one before!" Not once did anyone snub us, but we got a few good belly laughs. My vet had not seen a 'doodle before, but she was quite taken with Cinnamon and she now has a couple more in her practice. (My vet is a very special person, and you can tell she loves all animals.) When we do get the puzzled look from people, we just tell them why the two breeds were bred together in the first place and then people are in awe. They always say they can tell she's very smart. I guess I've been lucky that we've not had a snub experience with any one yet - either that or I'm too naive to notice!

We have been to the local petsmart during the rescue dog weekends and one of the organizations' director used to work at my vet's. She sees Cinnamon when we go in and has to tell everyone about her. Cinnamon loves the attention and just eats it up! So far no one has told me I have a mutt. I have joked a few times with contractors about having a hybrid and one of them told me "don't you dare call her that!" So funny!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
When I first got Jonah and we made our first trip to our vet...everyone loved him. In fact the save magazine articles to show me. The only thing my vet said was..."please tell me you didn't get him from a puppy mill!" He's afriad of all the out for a buck people. He is VERY big in our area scoping out puppy mills and encouraging people to spay and neuter. Since Miko is a rescue from this kind of situation, he's really got a special place in his heart for her! Mostly all I get are people wanting to know EVERYTHING about them, but I do get the "glorified mutt" comment. All I know is I have too living breathing dogs that I love and love me in return and that's all that matters to me. I know there will always be "ignorant people" (as my mom used to say) in this world, so I just ignore them!

Ok, I'm off the soap box now......NEXT.... :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Welcome to Doodleland
I have experienced a lot of predjudice concerning Denver, to the point that I stopped telling people what he was. That was in the beginning
when I did not know how to handle these people or their snide remarks. I went on a lot of "Pure Bred" sites and a lot of what I read was appalling
and I realized where people were getting their WRONG INFORMATION
from. The people who give and gave me the most problems were owners or breeders of Pure Breds. I also ran into a lot of people with mixed breeds who love Denver and the whole Doodle concept. These people have done their homewrok and just love dogs for dogs and know that Denver came from a responsible breeder. My 2 cents is that I think SOME Pure Bred Breeders are afraid of the competion and need to knock the Labradoodles for no other reason than it comes down to money being taken from their pockets. Today I proudly tell anyone who asks what Denver is and if they want a confrontation I just tell them to each their own and to keep on walking if they have only negative things to say as my baby is an Angel and does not need to hear there snide remarks.
One woman who was with her Pure Bred Lab said her dog was a real dog and mine was a whatever. It made me LOL as it sounded so stupid. I said
Love me Love My Doodle. If you do not Love my Doodle than keep on walking.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I have to say we've been lucky...we've never really encountered any real prejudice. We also live in an area where there seem to be a lot of doodles so I think that helps. We always get the "what kind of dog is he...is he a wheaten?" Then I'll usually say "he's part lab and part poodle or a labradoodle" and people usually say "oh i wondered what one of those look like...he's so cute". I don't know what I would say if someone was mean...I'd prob just walk away :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I never had anyone say anything bad about Frankie. They always just say either what type of dog that is, or is that a labradoodle. Even when I took him to get groomed last week, the girl at petsmart who usually cuts him, said she had at least 5 people come in just to ask what type of dog that was that she was grooming. I do know that if I had a vet that made those type of comment about Frankie, I would not go to that vet. The thing I don't get is why people feel they have to make comments on anykind of mixed bred, because they way I look at it is they do not have to own one, just like we had the choice to have one.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Welcome to this fabulous forum Cloverdoo and Chai!!!!
Everyone here is so knowledgable, gracious, caring and best of all FUNNY!!! hahaha :D
I'm sooo glad you changed vets....what a loser! When we took Raleigh for the first time to our vet last Novemer, she told us that he was sooo sick, that she'd have to keep him at HER house for 3-4 months....hahahah...she just loved him to pieces! and didn't want him to leave...She is a wonderful vet, and loves all the animals whether 'pure-bred', or mixed....I don't like the word mongrel or mutt, and it's negative connotations! They all give unconditional love to us, which in itself is a blessing! :D

Kathie, Raleigh & Molly :D :twisted: :?

Pix please!!! :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
welcome Cloverdoo!!!!

I a few times had snobby people talk to me...one was a reputable breeder of very well known std pooodles...she said Max is a mutt and these mutts should all be culled...know what? hahahha i laughed at her ignorance.
we have a great vet that LOVES labradoodles like Max and Peanut is their 1st goldendoodle.

Most people fall in love with them! Petsmart we draw a crowd each time.

NICE to meet you cloverdoo and you MUST POST a PIC or the forum will form a posse with Gene being the instigator.

can't wait to see Chai

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi, welcome!
Hmmm, I am always amazed at this mindset but even moreso when it comes from an (ahem) EDUCATED person! One who stands to make his/her livlihood from such "mutts"...Believe me, you ae so much better off without that idiot!
I think I'd write and tell the vet that not only did (s)he lose your business (and that you spend A LOT to keep your dog healthy and happy...) but that you have many, many friends who will now not be going to this vet either...I think I might even toss in a figure...tell them that because of their stupid opinions and their "need" to express them, they have probably forfeited around $500 per month...and finish up by sending a copy of this: http://www.canine-genetics.com/Default.htm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much for all your replies. You guys are funny!

We took her out yesterday and were stopped about every 10 feet or so with people saying she is the cutest puppy they have ever seen. We did get asked a lot as to what kind of dog she is and I usually replied "lab mix". :( My daughter would say that Chai is a labradoodle and one person told me that his dad has a LD and is such a great dog. I am amazed everyday at her easygoing temperment and after our walk yesterday can truely appreciate the "tired dog is a good dog" sentiment!

I am going post a picture as soon as I figure it out! She is cream & apricot and her coat is more fuzzy/wavy than curly. Lots of people thinks she looks like a golden retriever puppy.

Sorry for everyone who has been harrassed for their sweet doggies. Thanks for sharing your stories.

·
Registered
689 Posts
To all of you on your soapboxes, I'm holding out my hand to help you down. I'm not as eloquent as you are so I want to assist by not letting you trip! :lol:
I've seen Chester and Archie win over people who started out anti-doodle. You just can't argue with their personalities and temperments.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pure bred dogs didn't just appear on the earth on day. When man started domesticating animals, they changed them to fit their needs. They bred them and cross-bred them until they came up with an animal that effectively did the job man needed them to do. The labrador retriever itself was a cross between a St. John's Water Dog and a Newfoundland in the 1400's. I guess because it's been a mutt for 600 years, it's now a pure bred dog? Don't get me wrong - I have a lab and love him dearly.
How about the Bull Mastiff? straight cross breed between a bulldog and a mastiff. Aren't they recognized by the AKC? The Golden Retreiver is a cross between a setter and a spaniel.

So, educate people if they want to hear about it, and what a wonderful dog the doodle is. If they don't, pity them for their ignorance :cry:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
So, educate people if they want to hear about it, and what a wonderful dog the doodle is. If they don't, pity them for their ignorance
Wow Amen to that Betty
Nicely said :lol: :lol:
On a positive note Denver has two vets and they have never had anything but positive things to say about him. They both just love him
like crazy and as he is the first Doodle for both of them, they are considering getting Doodles themselves.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts