Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on here that the Greenies are dangerous for dogs. Does anyone know if Freshies are alright. I was reading the ingredients are:
wheat gluten isolate, glycerin, soy protein isolate, gelatin, water, natural flavoring, calcium carbonate, potassium sorbate, and chlorophyll.

Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not sure about freshies but I think wheat gluten is the first ingredient in greenies so they are probably about the same. We liked greenies because it took Tucker a while to chew them up and kept him busy for a while- haven't found a good substitute yet.....

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Kim, I don't think that the ingredient is the main problem for Greenies, but rather the fact that dogs often bite off (and swallow) large pieces that don't digest.
I would think that any similar product would have the same danger...but I have not personally heard of Freshies...

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I give Greenies to our puppies and their new owners all the time, but I do give REGULAR size which is big for an 8-9wk pup.

I guess I wondered if it was the gelatin in the treats that caused the blockages to not pass?

If you are nervous about Greenies (I'm not personally) I would guess that "Freshies" are just a knock-off, not an alternative.

hope that helps! :D

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, everyone. After hearing what can happen with the Greenies, I don't think I will take a chance with the Freshies (I already have a bag of them but will throw them away)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey, Kim...maybe your local animal shelter would like them...just a thought!
But...I would't worry too much about giving them...you could just let your dog munch them when you are around to supervise and watch and take it away when it gets too small...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts