Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a lot of acorns & acorn shells in our yard & Wrigley tries to eat them. Is they bad for dogs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,836 Posts
I have not seen them on any of the posionous plant lists, we had a huge oak tree in Fla and I know my labs ate some of the acorns and never had a problem but they didnt make a meal of them daily, just the occassional snack :wink:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,918 Posts
Dex was in love with acorns when he was that age. We tried to discourage him, but he just lost interest after awhile. I don't think it's the best for them to eat them, but I think as long as it's not in large quantities it's not terrible either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
You may want to be careful about the acorns. They contain tannic acid which is poisonous and can cause vomiting, diarhhea, etc. I think these symptoms occur when large quantities of acorns are ingested, but you might want to discourage Wrigley from eating them anyway.

Easier said than done though, I know! Half of our yard is covered in wood chips and Boo used to eat them like they were going out of style. :x Drove me nuts, I had to watch him like a hawk, and was always yelling "No eat!" :?
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top