Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if anyone can offer advice about this...

Archie for the past two days has been constantly licking his two front paws. We checked them and noticed there are sores between some of his toes - four sores total. He doesn't seem to be in pain; no limping.

We gave him a good bath and cleaned between his toes really well. We also used hydrogen peroxide, once just to clean. We don't know what else to do to help them heal. Of course it is the weekend and the vet is closed, maybe closed tomorrow too.

It has been very cold here in Illinois and we theorize the sores may have been caused by salt or ice-melt on the sidewalks and parking lots, but not sure.

Anyone out there have any suggestions? :(

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
My Springer use to get those sores from chewing. They were mostly caused by allergies.
Sometimes they'd get so bad he'd get an infection and have to be wrapped in gauze and take an antibiotic.
Watch Archie to see if he continues to lick. He's trying to heal them himself and may not be able to. The salt or ice melt may have irritated it to start. The chewing & licking can make it worse.
Good Luck! It's not that bad of a thing once the vet treats him if he needs that. Maybe you could wrap gauze around them with some neosporin until the vet can advise.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
sorry Archie has some sores, we've not had that problem, but keeping them clean and dry has to help until you can speak with the Vet tomorrow.

We try to keep the hair between Annabelles toes trimmed as they will matt which isnt good either

let us know how he does

PS any new pics?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Vicki can you call your vet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. We read lindamarie's tips yesterday and started immediately on the neosporin. It seems to be doing the trick; the sores are healing. We have been keeping Archie in the house as much as possible, and keeping him right with us to stop him from licking. ( He did not tolerate the gauze wrap. )

If the sores don't continue to heal throughout today we will call the vet tomorrow.

Regarding the questions about a change in his surroundings, we did try a new daycare last week, and have decided not to go back there. Otherwise the only change would be the exposure to salt and ice-melt on the sidewalks. We will be careful not to expose him to that any more!

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think the neosporin is a great idea. But, I would probably stay away from the hydrogen peroxide. As a nurse (in humans) we do not use it anymore as we have found it is painful and more importantly, found that it can cause tissue damage. I would expect it is probably the same with pups. Better would be just some mild soap and water, then the neosporin. I hope he feels better soon - he is a gorgeous little guy!

G

·
Maya was licking her paws after her last trip to daycare. She didn't have sores though. They reccommended stuff you can put on the paw to protect it. That did the trick. I got mine at Petsmart. I just asked where they kept the paw protection cream.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Or maybe you could try the doggie boots for walks out in the icy weather.
I don't know if he'd keep them on.....but maybe.

I have used the paw balm, too. It's good stuff. I got some at Petco.

8)

·
Registered
17 Posts
A friend recommended using lansinoh for Tate's paws. We have tried it and he seems to leave his paws alone after we put it on. It seems to help his cracked pads. We tried boots and he hated them. He kept stopping and trying to get them off when we went for walks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts