Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, let me say that you are all so smart. I have made several attempts to set up an avatar, but my photos are all too large. But trust me, Archie is THE CUTEST!

He's two years old now, and sleeps on the bed with us. A few months ago he was sick and had "accidents" during the night, so we started being very alert to him possibly wanting to go out at night. Now we are up at least twice a night to let him out to go potty!

On one hand, we are tempted to tell him to go back to sleep and see what happens, but on the other hand, we want to let him out if he really needs to "go." This is central Illinois and it's bitter cold, so I don't think he's going out for the fun of it.

We have tried all the obvious solutions - - taking him out before bed, restricting his fluids in the evening, etc.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Just a couple of questions....what was the illness he had when he had accidents? When you let him out, do you take him on a leash or do you just let him out in a fenced yard. What does he do once he is out. Does he actually need to pee or poop? If poop..what is the consistency?

I just tended my daughter doxie and he is about 3+ yrs old. She is up every night to let him out. I found that if he ate too much then he needed to go out during the night but by cutting back on treats, he slept through the night.

Have you tried feeding him earlier, taking him for a walk (yes I know it's cold) before bed? Cutting back on his evening meal...just thinking...does he get enough exercise?

:idea:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
that's a tough situation. Obviously you started taking him out during the night out of necessity and now he's gotten used to it. After ruling out any health issues, my only suggestion is trying to remove food/water early in the evening...take him out last thing before bed, and then ignore him if he asks to go out during the night. I hate to ignore their signals too, but I think it may be necessary in this case.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Do you have a crate for him? Putting him back in it at night might encourage him to relearn to sleep through the night. You'd have to ignore him if he told you he wanted to go out, though; it would be unusual for him to soil in the crate and that would help retrain him. Our doodle slept through the night after about the first couple of days with us, at ten weeks old. So unless there's a physical problem Archie may just like some attention and the activity to get him through the long boring night!

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
question: how old is your doodle?

peanut kept us up for 2 weeks but then slept thru the night at age 11 or 12 weeks

Beau did this the 1st 2 nights and stopped
max ...he slept thru the night from day 1

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice, everyone. Thanks. I will try a) doing a better job of restricting food in the evenings, b) making sure he is either walked or out for a good bit of time before bed, and c) telling him to go back to sleep. See what happens...

He was not "sick" really, when this started, just had the runs during the night but was fine in the morning. We realized he was trying to tell us he wanted out of the bedroom and we told him no, then we felt so badly. So we are hyper-sensitive now. We let him out in the fenced back yard, and he does go potty and then right back in.

He is two and doesn't have a crate any more. But we have developed into such softies, he sleeps on the king-size bed with us.

Again, thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Yes.....try all that was suggested. I think he might just be use to going out.
What happens when you leave him alone & how long do you leave him? Does he have any accidents?

Also, if he really does go when let out, he's not playing games like I've had some dogs do. What is the latest you feed him and water him?
Bogie's last meal is at 8.....and we limit water after 9.

Tooooooooo many questions...........lol.....sorry

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Archiedoodle.....Try this web site and shrink you photo to 180 x 180. It is pretty easy. Save it and follow the avatar instructions on your profile pages. Good luck..we are dying to see "the cutest". We have alot of those here. Here it is......http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

·
Registered
985 Posts
lindamarie said:
Yes.....try all that was suggested. I think he might just be use to going out.
What happens when you leave him alone & how long do you leave him? Does he have any accidents?

Also, if he really does go when let out, he's not playing games like I've had some dogs do. What is the latest you feed him and water him?
Bogie's last meal is at 8.....and we limit water after 9.

Tooooooooo many questions...........lol.....sorry
Just because he goes doesn't mean he really HAD to. If she sees me with my car keys and pocketbook, Chouette will usually squat and piddle automatically right before we hop in the car even if she's gone a few minutes before. And I swear sometimes she piddles just to be polite when I let her out.

While we were getting Chouette to sleep through the night we limited food and water after seven p.m. I don't worry so much now; there've been times I've forgotten and left her food down and she wanders over to it at ten, and she still doesn't need a 2 a.m. walk. The last time we take her out could be anywhere from ten to eleven. And then she's fine until 6 or 7 in the morning.

Leslie

·
Registered
659 Posts
archiedoodle said:
First of all, let me say that you are all so smart. I have made several attempts to set up an avatar, but my photos are all to large
I can't offer anymore advice for Archie beyond what has been already offered, but I can offer you some help with large photos.

Maddjaxx already suggested that great site to create an avatar picture easily. To easily resize large pictures for posting on the web or emailing, use the free Microsoft Image Resizer Powertoy.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx

Once you install this little app, you just right click on your image file, select "Resize Pictures" from the pop-up menu, then select one of three sizes to make a reduced COPY of your photo. I suggest the smaller (640x480 or 800x600) sizes for posting to web forums.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts