Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I think I remember reading that apples were ok for doodles, but want to make sure.

I was eating my first Honeycrisp of the season yesterday and Cody conned me into tossing a piece his way. He gobbled it up! (ok not really gobbled - actually chewed) I didn't toss any more his way (though that was hard with those begging eyes) for fear that apples weren't good.

So - can he have more? Would a whole apple (cut into pieces) be too much? How often is too often?

TIA!

·
Registered
985 Posts
We feed Chouette all sorts of fruits and veggies in small quantities. She loves things like peaches and pears, so if I'm having some I usually give her a morsel or two. Our last dog didn't like those things, but Chou is definitely fructivorous and is thrilled to munch on watermelon rinds or the occasional strawberry or blueberry. She likes carrots, too. And since I haven't tried to teach her to stay out of the garden yet, because right now there's so much else for her to learn, one of her favorite things is to wander over and pick up a cucumber and gnaw on it.

They're such characters!

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
DO NOT let your dogs eat GREEN apples!!! from apple trees outside.

jsut before Leslie got here to see and take home Kirby he ate a big green apple which promptly produced vomiting and severe diarrhea. Max and peanut only had a little and were fine in a few hours.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I assume these apples and fruits and veggies from gardens are grown without pesticides...Folks around here are just crazy for spraying the heck out of everything. A couple of years ago I was in my yard with my dog and cat when we were suddenly being showered by my next door neighbor who was spraying Diazinon on his apple tree, AND US :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Needless to say, we exchanged a few words with him ending the conversation that because he didn't have any pets he didn't think it was a problem. BUT he had a sandbox for his two toddlers not 20 ft away....

So.....scrub those apples :D :D

·
Registered
985 Posts
All of our veggies are organic, but it's hard to find organic tree fruit around here because it's so humid. I do buy organic at the stores whenever I can, though. We've always gardened organically. Used to keep goats for the milk and sheep for the meat, too.

When my son was little he developed an odd allergy to chicken that we bought at the supermarket. It would make his vision blurry after he'd eaten some. I tried him on turkey and got the same reaction, so I assumed that it was something both types of poultry were fed, or the way they were processed, because they're dissimilar genetically and shouldn't have caused the same allergy otherwise. We raised rabbits for awhile and he could eat those, but finally we went back to store chickens and he was okay then.

It's really hard to negotiate around the way food is raised and processed these days!

Leslie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts