Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm resigned to Charlie having a total change of coat texture-wise (fleece to short coarse but slightly shiny hair) but the fleece was mid chocolate colour and the new stuff is very dark....either black or a brown black (difficult to tell exactly as there are still wisps of the longer lighter fleece coming up thro it). Everything I've found on colour seems to imply that they might go lighter with age/ weathering etc but nothing about changing colour....anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Tia has got white hair coming in but she started out jet black. She has a reddish beard though. Sorry not darker here just a few white hairs on both of us! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'm wondering if what you're seeing is the color your baby is normally rather than the sun bleached coat you're use to looking at? It's very possible that before long the coat will look lighter again after it's not so "new". ALL of my babies that have changed color so far have gone lighter... never darker.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Lucy did go a bit darker (seems to have gone from yellow to more of a red) as she got older although her nose seems to be going from black to brown now.
4 weeks...

1 1/2 years...

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
annieG said:
Tanner's color depends on the amount of dirt he gets into :twisted:
YUP! Della has dirty or dirtier... and Lucas stayed the same color and clean!

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I have heard of reds darkening with age...checked out my favorite site on color..

This was from the Apeggio Poodle site....

"You can also get puppies in some lines of red that will be born apricot or an almost orange color that will latter mature and darken into reds. Some of these pups will hold their color longer and not fade as badly."
I read thru the brown page
http://arpeggiopoodles.tripod.com/poodl ... lors3.html
this site has so much info....maybe I missed something on the chocolates...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The new coat after the puppy coat is shinier. Rusty's coat is wavier than when he was a puppy but it is still a fleece coat.
His coat looks darker now that his adult coat is coming in.

I thought chocolates went lighter. Lucee bleaches out with the sun and when she gets trimmed goes darker.
In general her fur is getting lighter all over and she is heaps curlier.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Abby is getting lighter in color. Her points (ears,nose,feet,rear) are still darker than the rest of her.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the comments (and the beautiful photos!). I think I'll have to see if I can get some clear photos of Charlie and post them, so you can see what I'm talking about

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Ann,
It sounds like we switched doodles!! :shock:
Bogart was jet black with a few of those grey thingies.
Pictures don't really show this but he's getting a dark chocolate color.
The other day we were at the mall and these two women stopped us. One of them has a doodle.
She told us..."WOW! I love his chocolate color!" It started at his muzzle and now is working it's way to his head and back. His legs kind of look taupey.
Amazing!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lindamarie said:
Ann,
It sounds like we switched doodles!! :shock:
Bogart was jet black with a few of those grey thingies.
Pictures don't really show this but he's getting a dark chocolate color.
The other day we were at the mall and these two women stopped us. One of them has a doodle.
She told us..."WOW! I love his chocolate color!" It started at his muzzle and now is working it's way to his head and back. His legs kind of look taupey.
Amazing!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Linda. you could be right....I get comments like 'what a lovely chocolate colour, but what's happening down his back?" I always said he's a changeling....and when he tries to sit in the boys' (my 2 cavs) crate with them he looks like the cuckoo in the nest....a large overgrown wiggly puppy towering over the 2 dogs who are now half his size!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

You can see the darker new hair where it's replaced his original chocolate coloured fleece...and the kemp hairs show up well in the first photo.

with thanks to my technical advisor, my daughter Katie!

·
Registered
296 Posts
no sign of darkening or lightening on Hamish yet - he is still a dark chocolate - slightly curlier - but still the soft puppy fur - he's been clipped fairly close twice - so I keep looking for his to start changing - don't know if it's too early yet or not - he's approaching 7 months - my how time flies!! - I've heard some doods have a transition coat - coarser and wirier before their final coat comes in - maybe it could that - hopefully more of the experts will chime in here!! - I'm interested too!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Wow, Ann! Thanks for posting the picture. It looks like your Charlie is turning a totally different color. I have never seen this but it sure is interesting.

Charlie has turned from black to dark chocolate but it is a subtle change, not always noticeable.

Deb

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm resigned to Charlie having a total change of coat texture-wise (fleece to short coarse but slightly shiny hair) but the fleece was mid chocolate colour and the new stuff is very dark....either black or a brown black (difficult to tell exactly as there are still wisps of the longer lighter fleece coming up thro it). Everything I've found on colour seems to imply that they might go lighter with age/ weathering etc but nothing about changing colour....anyone else experienced this?
Hey I know I’m late but I recently purchased a goldendoodle who is now 15 weeks that seems to be getting darker, he was a light cream when I first brought him home now he’s a lot darker.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Dog's age just like any other living being. During the ageing process, the fur colour can lighten. This change in the coat colour is just like the greying of human hair as they age. But the greying is not to that extent, only the colour of the coat lightens. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts