Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
I don't like to microwave plastic just in case there's some out-gasing or breakdown of the chemicals used to make them. That may just be a myth, that there's a potential problem, but I use glass covers over my dishes when I microwave things.

We're weird anyway; we garden organically and buy organic whenever we can!

Leslie

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
we garden organically and buy organic whenever we can
Smae here Leslie...are you calling me weird???? hahahahahaha....but I do use plastic too...sometimes I wonder about all these 'myths'...... :wink:
Thanks for the link Mary!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Raleighsmom said:
we garden organically and buy organic whenever we can
Same here Leslie...are you calling me weird???? hahahahahaha....but I do use plastic too...sometimes I wonder about all these 'myths'...... :wink:
Thanks for the link Mary!
I wonder about those myths, too, but I figure if there's potential for issues and I can avoid it, I will. There's so much we can't avoid anymore!

I have a large eleven-inch glass lid for my big frying pan, plus a glass lid for my four-quart pyrex baking dish, and I've found that I can use those for microwaving when I reheat stuff. That way I don't have to go through all that waxed paper!

I also bring string bags and insulated sacs to the supermarket so I don't have to use their plastic. I got the string bags in France; I love the way they reuse things. Even their plastic bags have a statement on them that they're biodegradable, but you have to buy bags at the supermarket there if you haven't brought your own.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
It's not a myth. I took a class on the repair of vinyl dolls this last summer from a plastics chemical engineer. There is a chemical in some plastics that will break down and travel to the air, to your food and it is in most liquid make up. I try not it use anything around food that has plastic in it, hot or not. It goes by a couple of different names and not all plastics have it in it, but I'm not that savvy to know what plastic is good and what is bad, so I avoid all of it around hot food. It's called Diethylene something (I'll have to get my notes) - I remember the initials -DEP.

DEP was classified as a know carcinogen until the 50's or 60's sometime and was banned from manufacturing. It's been changed to a probable carcinogen and can now be used. :?: :!:

The power of the almighty dollar.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Cinsmom said:
It's not a myth. I took a class on the repair of vinyl dolls this last summer from a plastics chemical engineer. There is a chemical in some plastics that will break down and travel to the air, to your food and it is in most liquid make up. I try not it use anything around food that has plastic in it, hot or not. It goes by a couple of different names and not all plastics have it in it, but I'm not that savvy to know what plastic is good and what is bad, so I avoid all of it around hot food. It's called Diethylene something (I'll have to get my notes) - I remember the initials -DEP.

DEP was classified as a know carcinogen until the 50's or 60's sometime and was banned from manufacturing. It's been changed to a probable carcinogen and can now be used. :?: :!:

The power of the almighty dollar.
No kidding. I think that the plastics sold for use around food are supposed to be safe - at least this week... But who knows for sure. I never used teflon because I had concerns, even as a kid (after watching the pan lose its coating and realizing that it probably ended up on my plate), and the latest info is that it's questionable after all.

But you can only do so much. Still, I'm tickled to see that they're now marketing antibiotic-free chicken and nitrate-free ham. I try to vote with my dollars!

Leslie

G

·
I know, you never know what is true...BUT it sure sounds plausible that microwaving could release a chemical from plastic into the food. I use glass or a paper plate and never microwave with plastic food wrap...but I probably make up for it when I microwave those Stouffer meals that are totally plastic! :roll:
I thought I read that the chemical released is an estrogen imitator and it can bind to the receptor cells that estrogen would usually bind with and that the decreasing sperm count in males is related to this process.....
BUT I have not done the research, so I don't want to alarm anyone! If anyone has info I would love to hear it! Good or bad!!!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
You know, it's crazy...one day it's 'drink a glass of wine a day to prevent heart disease'...the next day it's ALL forms of alcohol can put you at risk for breast cancer....then it's 'excess cups of coffee or caffeine are not good for the human body'...then...Coffee has been found to be good for your heart....HELLO?????? I'm sick of listening to all of this, and stick to the rule: Moderation,moderation,moderation!!! The odd thing is, is that once you hear it on the news, it's never mentioned again...until the next time, when the tide turns back!!! Alarmists, doomsdayers, naysayers....I'm beginning to think they're all nuts!!!

Don't be embarrassed Leslie for standing up for what you believe in..! :wink: but do take a look at the website thart Mary provided....Zip-lock has addressed these issues, and I guess it's up to the consumer to make an informed decision..altho like Linda said...you don't know who to believe anymore! :cry:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you click on their website and click the safety tab, it tells about different kinds of plastics and microwaving http://www.ziploc.com/

For years we had lead crystal glasses, then all of sudden it's not healthy to drink out of them. Then some bakeware wasnt safe anymore due to lead

I agree that their are somethings to def stay away from but when the FDA keeps changing their minds on what is and isnt safe to eat, drink or use for utensils, it is aggravating

I imagine you could use these recipes in a glass dish also if you put the lid on

·
Registered
985 Posts
Mary, I do know what you're saying, and I did go to the website to see what they had to say about varioius plastics and heating. But although it's reassuring, I've been trying to stay as low-tech as possible under the assumption that we evolved using low-tech tools and it's probably safer. Not that I don't drive a car rather than a horse, etc., but I just figure I'll do what I can....

Didn't see the recipes but I'll check again.

Leslie

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
some of the recipes sounded yummy I'm always on the hunt for recipes - with all my allergies it's hard cooking sometimes, I do a lot of subbing and eat some weird combo foods :wink:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Or, since we've done endless research, we could all eat Canidae!!! :lol:

I'm sorry! :oops: My weekend sucked and I'm venting! :evil:

We took my mom to the lake house this weekend. My mom and my husband like each other as long as they don't spend time together. But over the weekend, THEY DROVE ME NUTS!!! My mom is a very friendly, happy person as long as you agree with everything she says and does and, of course, the way she says and does it. I have learned this and I have learned that peace and harmony is more important than getting my way, so for the short time that I have to, I just go along with things. Gene doesn't. In fact, he turns into a hovering mother hen watching everything she does and correcting her at every possible chance!! When she's not looking, he "mouths" or whispers things about what she is doing to me. When he is not looking, she "mouths" or whispers things about him to me! They both turn into little brats that need a good whack across their bottoms!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Last night, I had enough! At 8:00, I announced that I had a splitting headache and went to bed. Dakota, the smart little dood he is, came with me!!! :D :wink:

And now, my mom is home; Gene is off to Utah to visit his dad; and Dakota and I are happily home alone!!!! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awwwwww - I had a mother like that, except she wasnt happy :evil:

Glad you took yourself off to bed and that Dakota had the smarts to follow you :wink:

Enjoy the house to yourself !

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Diane....sorry about your weekend....been there, done that with family! I read the second page of this post and at first was wondering....."what was I venting about now?" :shock: Then of course it sunk in that Gene is your husband...throws me for a loop every time! Now I know how the Mary's and Linda's of the forum must feel.... :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Diane, luckily my mom has mellowed with age and also realized I am exactly like my Dad in personality.So she finally gave up hahhaha saying i'll end up doing what i want anyway.

BUT my EX and my mom ....ohhhhhh it was like your hubby and mom. Used to drive me insane. Hang in there (((((((Diane))))))

oh my mom though still buys us stuff, DAVE (fiance) is great , he stays quiet, agrees, and smiles hahhahaaa as my mom buys things like new pots and pans every few years, I stil have 2 boxes downstairs i haven't opened up yet :shock:
My mom is a sweetie pie meaning well and NOW i leave a part of my house unkempt to give her something to complain about and clean for me. hahhaaa she still doesn't know i do it on purpose :wink: and my dad? i always have a little "project" for him to do as he is not one to do NOTHING hhahahhaa

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Annmarie--
I think we had a conversation ahwile back about how we could open a thrift store with what our moms buy us!!! :shock: :wink: My mom is over generous to a fault with us; and she shouldn't have money to spare as she is on a fixed income! I just so wish she would spend some of the money on herself and not try to save it for me. I have told her that at least a million times but it makes no difference . . .

And talk about cleaning! She has given me a total phobia about having a clean house! Whenever I am leaving the lake and I know that I bringing my mom up next, I clean the house beyond spotless, as I did this last time. Nevermind! She wasn't in the house 10 minutes before she had her dust rag out and moving!!! Sheesh! I couldn't of had it any cleaner, so what do you do???!!! (That, of course was a rhetorical question!!!! :D :wink: )

1 - 20 of 24 Posts