Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bawling after seeing the part where the officer had to pick the dogs to be euthanized. Rescuing Bodzin from the humane society was one of the best decisions that I have ever made and that show just confirmed it for me personally.

I know that I will be a frequent adopter in the remaining years of my life. I hope many of us will do so... for dogs and cats too!

If you haven't seen it, try downloading it.... very interesting, even if you are a breeder or wouldn't consider adoption. They had some good info about spaying/neutering and the show just made you want to go hug your pup!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry

Sorry... I camp out in this forum since I usually have so many questions... I will check it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I'd heard from several sources about the "puppy mill" show scheduled for today, so I was a bit disappointed that the puppy mill part was only a small segment. They did focus on shelters, and other worthwhile topics, but after the puppy mill part was so widely advertised I felt they could have done a lot more with and about it.
Just my $.02 worth.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
we had a huge discussion over at the dog park today..

i related my story regarding neutering my Toby..

alot of people i can only guess are just irresponsible about desexing their
dog s..and other s it s a matter of finances..i d like to think many are of the latter..

i d just retired..or forced to retire due to multiple injuries..so i contacted the people at http://www.spayusa.org/ ..they sent me a certificate worth a great discount with a member Vet...

i can only recommend those who may be financially squeezed as myself to contact these people..they ll send u a certificate along with a list of vets. that participate in the program..

the cost of a neutering is around $150-$180 out here in calif..with the certificate i ended up paying $60 out of pocket..

·
Registered
73 Posts
I watched the Puppy Mill Oprah last night. Less than five minutes into it, the segment about her cocker spaniel Sophie had me in tears, but I was disappointed in the rest of the show.

After years of working in animal rescue, I don't think the show really did justice to the horror of what happens when people are irresponsible about their pets. Yes, puppy mills are horrible places - and I don't think they should be allowed to exist. BUT the fact is that they exist BECAUSE there is a market for their 'product'. There is a large segment of the population that does not understand that they are not 'rescuing' a puppy from the pet store, they are supporting the industry. And so many of these impulse buy puppies are later discarded, to end up in the pound. Some of them even end up at the pound directly from the pet stores when they get too old to sell easily.

The way to put the end to the holocaust of animals is through aggressive promotion of responsible pet ownership and drying up the market for these 'farmed' puppies. Personally, I refuse to shop at pet stores that sell puppies and kittens. Several pet stores in our area have done away with the sale of live animals and focus only on supplies, and they are the ones I will support. I encourage others to do the same. It is a small step, but it is a start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts