Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Lexi had a seizure. It was a really scary experience. I have never dealt with something like that before. I called the vet and they said keep track and if she continues to have them she would need to be seen. Anyone else know much about them?
Thanks,
Kathi

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
My neighbors have a beagle shepherd mix that has seizures. They have had him to the vet for it, but the vet isn't too worried about it, they just keep him still (as they can) until he gets over them. He has one every six to eight weeks or so. Next time I see them (cold weather keeps us inside a lot) I'll find out more details for you. As the vet says, keep an eye on her.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
one of my dear friend's yorkie had them alot. we'd just hold her still in our arms and also watch her carefully around stairs. then just be nice and calm when she came out of them.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My previous dog had epileptic seizures, but they were short (about 30-45 seconds) and about 2x week (that I witnessed). We just watched him until the seizure was was over. He was an inside/outside dog, so probably had many more that I never saw.

He lived with it just fine. It was never life threatening or seemed to bother him at all. Years later, toward the end of his life, he did seem to have some neurological stuff going on, but passed away before that became any kind of problem for him.

I wouldnt worry too much, just observe :)

LizziesMom

PS Ive also heard people say that dogs outgrow seizures?

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have some very close friends that had a black lab that started having them around 6 years of age, they really got bad. They ran every test in the book on him MRI and everything they never really could tell them anything other than it wasn't a brain tumor. He took meds the rest of his life he just passed away last year on his own right before they were going to have to make that horrible decision for him. We said that was his way he wasn't going to put that awful decision on them, they were at the Vets making the decision and he passed. :cry:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Yes, we lost our 5 month old Hannah to seizures in November.

Vets think it was a genetic problem associated with liver shunt. Her seizures were grand mall, very violent and lasted a long time. The three vets we took her to thought this was a very rare thing in such a young dog. I contacted the breeder and she said she contacted the other owners of doodles from this litter and none of the others had this condition.

It doesn't sound like yours is this type. Just keep track of frequency and length and keep in contact with your vet.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My late poodle had adult onset seizures on occasion. The first one came shortly after I heard a clatter in the guest bathroom. (She liked to jump into the tub and play, and sometimes I left the iron in there to cool off after ironing clothes, as was the case when I heard the clatter. She must have jumped on it.) A bit later I noticed her stumbling in the hall. It was a long time (year or more?) before I saw another one. They were always mild, as if she was trying to get up, but couldn't. I wonder if they were so mild that I may have been missing them.

I just gathered her up and held her close, during and after the seizure. She was never on any medication for them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Our last dog was a Pekepoo and he had seizures. He was on medications (Phenobarbital) twice a day and it was pretty much under control. He took them for about 5 years. Because he was very hyper, the meds calmed him down a little anyway, so it wasn't a bad trade-off.

Bryan

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LeixAnn...i was just thinking okay. most dogs usally are fine but once in a while need meds for it.

there is one med that has lower risks for seizures it's called

Tegretol ..the generic form is Carbamenzapine
the side effects last a few weeks with staircases needing watching. But if med giving same time every day it works great.

I don't know if they give dogs anti-seizure meds.

we don't have seizures in the house but someone takes it here and ALSO I have 2 friend's kids that have seizures sometimes daily who re also taking this med.
ONLY your VET knows the answer ....Hang in there!!!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
LexiAnn

Another medication used for canine seizures is Potassium Bromide. They were trying to stabilize our Hannah on Phenobarbitol but were planning to transition her to Potassium Bromide for long term treatment. Vets felt it has less chance for long term damage.

There is also a great deal of information available on line.

Please let us know how she is doing.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
as Annieg said...they are possible long term effects including blood infections and so on. YOUR vet should be able to guide you.

as we have seen from posting and my other dog friends, some dogs just have them every so often, hold them still till it passes and watch their dogs around stairs

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
They can't actually swallow their tongues. They do froth and foam and because they can choke on that, you try to keep their mouths clear. Mainly need to keep them from falling down stairs or getting hurt from thrashing against something.

One more thing, another way to tell if they have had a seizure when you are not around, they usually wet themselves or their bed.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
glad to hear Lexi is doing better...thanks for the update. And i hope you are now feeling better too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts