Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I recently had an inquire from a lady looking to get a Labradoodle for her family. She has a 9 yr old son that is autistic son and she has a pet free home. She told me her son and husband really want a dog, but she's hesitant. She's interested in the Labradoodle for their personality and lack of shedding, but she can't handle a puppy and would like to get a "calm adult that is housebroken." If you or if you know of anyone that may be able to meet her needs, please let me know! THX!!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I thought this might be a good opportunity to post a picture of how older dogs that have been kennel dogs can adapt really nicely to a new home and being house broke. A lot of you know, I am selling several of my breeders. We shipped Hannah to Portland, Or. a week ago and this morning I wake up to these pictures and a wonderful e-mail as to how the "real" Hannah has emerged. They go on to say how sweet, mild tempered and wonderful she is and how they have all fallen deeply in love with her. She had to be pried out of her crate the first few mornings to go for their walk but now she bounces out with enthusiasm and excitement, tail wagging, waiting eagerly for their morning walk.

I can't tell you how these pictures and that e-mail makes my heart sing :)

A lot of people are afraid to take on a kennel dog and I can see their hesitation, but not all kennel dogs are "kennel dogs" if you know what I mean. A kennel dog does not have to be a dog that sits in a kennel 24/7 with no attention. Hannah was not housebroke or even ever been in the house but she adapted very easily and I have sold several older dogs with the same stories. So, if a puppy is not for you, please don't hesitate to look into an older dog that is wanting and needing a loving, forever home.

G

·
Hannah looks so happy!!!!

daissyj, Kathy from JerseyDoodles has an beautiful adult F1 available. I don't know the details re: shedding or non-shedding, but they could ask her. If I remember the post I read about her correctly, she is asking very reasonable price.

http://www.jerseydoodles.com/

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi...ordinarilary I would absolutely agree that a family can take a kennel dog or rehome and make it a wonderful life for everyone....BUT now that I have been donating dogs to special needs kids, I have learned that special needs kids really have challenges that have to be handled by good trainers. So if this family is new to dogs, as it appears that they are, and they have high expectations about doodles, as it seems, and they have limited income (which would be expected due to the huge expenses related to their child's care and their wanting to adopt a dog rather than buy one) then I would be very concerned about a rehome or kennel dog for them.
A chlld with special needs really requires a lot to learn how to deal with the dog as well as the dog learning all of the necessary skills to live in such a family. Proper training is the key...not just obedience training.
If not, the results could be very bad...
I just donated two dogs from Lexie's litter to special needs families, thinking that it was a great idea...the first family had already spoken with a trainer who teaches dogs to be service animals (much different from pets) and they are doing well...the other family took a puppy and I immediately saw some challenges, for the family and the dog. They have had the dog for a week and adore her....but, thankfully, they are seeing specialized training assistance this week.
So, as much as we want to help, it is best to refer them to organizations that train service dogs...or at least to make sure that they have a trainer lined up and ready to help.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
JAC...thank you so much for pointing out that very useful and knowledgable information.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Jac is soooo right, not just any dog will work for special needs children or adults.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts