Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our new addition has a skin rash vet considered it like acne said it was common with puppies. They've prescribed Cephalexin and I looked it up and I didn't like what I've found. I'll put the link up to the site I was at for those who don't know about it. So if anybody has used this let me know what side effects if any accured. I found another site that had about 5 peps stating it effected the hinde quarters and produced the glands to swell up and one guy stated he couldn't even touch his dog without him yelping in pain. Don't want him to go threw that but was wondering if that is an extreme reaction.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ce ... page1.aspx

·
Registered
434 Posts
Keflex is a broad spectrum anitbiotic prescribed for several different reasons. Calvin was prescribed it when he was younger for a rash-like area on his belly. It cleared up. My only beef was that it was so cheap at my vets office and if I would have had to take it as a human, it would've cost about 3x's as much! Same drug, same strength....Pharmacuticals, what a racquet!
Leslie

G

·
Bella had the same rash as a puppy. My vet prescribed daily washing of the area with Dial soap. It is a mild staph infection (not contagious) and it occurs because the puppies immune system is not yet mature. So if you decide to avoid the medication route, you can try this. (Ask your vet, of course). It worked well for us because she was small and I could just rinse her in the sink with the sprayer. The rash cleared in 3 days, but would return if I did not wash her daily. I would also wipe the area down with a baby wipe after she was outside or went potty. The vet also said because as puppies they are small and close to the ground her urine could be splashing up and irritating her. That said, I think the reactions you read about are allergic reactions and your puppy would probably be OK. If you decide to use the antibiotic, I would give some lactbacillus to her so her tummy does not get upset. Plain yogurt with the live cultures, or just buy the supplements.
25 mg twice a day for up to 25 pounds, 50 mg twice a day for 25 to 50 pounds, over 50pounds 100 mg twice a day.
http://www.wellvet.com/spogogenes.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts