Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had dogs most of my life, raised them from puppies. Now, for the first time in about 12 years, I have a new puppy, a Labradoodle. I've had him for two weeks and we're feeling overwhelmed...it's just not relaxing at all, especially in the morning. It's so bad, even though he is a good and normal doodle, we are thinking of returning him to the breeder. I guess we just need to have more energy!

We certainly understand this puppy and love dogs; I think since we had to put our Labrador Retriever down three years ago, we just didn't think about all the work and enery need when having a puppy again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hang in there...it's a lot like having a new baby...you forget how much work they are when they are tiny and then they grow up! They grow up fast and this time will pass. If you've lived with a lab, then you can live with a doodle. From my understanding, they tend to mature and settle WAY faster than a full blown lab. So, hang in there! My Angel is 9 mos. old and is really becoming a different (more calm...most of the time!) dog. She has her moments, but I've noticed a big change in her at around 8 mos.

Imagine how boring life would be without the antics of a silly dog! :wink: :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh I agree, hang in there it will be alright. I've had Dekker for 5 weeks now and let me tell you the first two weeks were really hard. My husband and I were Sooooo tense all the time. It certainly does get easier, even a few weeks makes a difference. And yes I do think you forget how hard it is to raise a puppy. At least babies wear diapers!!!! :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I can tell you the young puppy time is very tough. I actually wondered several times when Dex was under 6 mos if we made a mistake getting him. It was a constant battle between the accidents and him jumping up and grabbing hold of my shirts/pants/etc...plus my husband had a 2nd job for the holiday season so I was alone a lot dealing with this. I can tell you it really gets better...by 6 mos he was so much better and by a year it's a lot lot better. It just takes patience and tons of corrections (by showing them the proper behavior - like chew on this toy and not my leg).

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Our first two weeks were the absolute worst! I was exhausted from being a full-time around the clock puppy mom. I can remember when DH came home from work and I asked him to play with Charlie for awhile. He said he wasn't in the "puppy mood". I almost lunged at him! I made it clear that he was indeed in the "puppy mood" because I needed a break.

Are you crate-training the puppy? I found the crate to be a life saver. It does not hurt a puppy to spend some time alone in the crate. Even puppies need down time. Please take time for yourself and let the puppy nap alone a few times during the day.

It does get better and you get used to each other and the pup is house broken.

Deb

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having a rough time - Puppies are def full of energy and do take a lot of time, but they do calm down and become loving companions

Only you know what is right, but it does get better.

I'm glad to know if you do decide you can't keep your pup that you will return to the breeder instead of taking to the shelter

G

·
It is sooo true, you really do forget how hard it is to raise a puppy. Hang in there, I'm sure it will get better soon. I, too, remember being in tears with scratched up hands and very little patience left wondering what the heck I was thinking! I called my sister to commiserate after Bella ate a shoe and she said, "Oh my dog never ate my stuff when he was a puppy." I responded that "I specifically remember you calling me in tears when he ate a beautiful pair of expensive shoes in your closet." She said, "Oh yeah! I forgot about that!" :lol:
It will be worth it! 6 months of puppyhood for hopefully more than 12 years of devotion!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Oh yes, I can relate. Just refer to my "bad mother" post. I think it will get better and everyone here is absolutely wonderful!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
We too waited 3 years to get another dog after our lab died. I'm glad to see this thread on here because I really do think people tend to "forget" what the first year is like with a puppy. I was in tears more than once from all the nipping & jumping & frustrations. I remember being exhausted and on edge constantly the first few weeks. Obedience training and an e-collar was what saved us. (Plus finally getting him potty trained.) Another thing that was absolutely necessary for my sanity was the crate training. I'm home most of the time, and would have to give myself a break a few times each day when Bigsby would have his crate time. I'm convinced I still would be going out of my mind without the crate & the e-collar. The collar provides a mild correction (no pain) that stopped Bigsby from nipping, biting, chewing on forbidden items, etc. (We worked with a trainer to learn the correct way to use it.) Positive training is used too, of course.

I also, frankly, had a hard time getting used to the fact that this dog was not our old dog, Boomer. We still missed Boomer so much and it was so sad when he died that it took a while to feel as much in "love" with Bigsby as we were with Boomer. It just took some time. Bigsby is now almost 9 months old and, honestly, I am now so in love with this dog that I wake up happy because I can't wait to get him out of his crate to see him and have him in our lives. But for those first weeks, I can honestly say there were days I dreaded getting him up in the morning.

Continue to share your feelings & frustrations with this forum. There are some great, experienced people on here who will make a world of difference in making you feel better!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I think that DoodleLeedoo explained the life of early puppy
extremely well. I will just reiterate to hang in there as it
truly does get better and better and better.
We have all cried out of frustration but we are here to tell you that
we survived and life with a Doodle is truly wonderful when they mature. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I remember when Max was 7mos old and for some insane reason I took home Peanut a 9 wk old doodle OMG for 2 weeks we didn't get sleep, I almost wondered if i had made a mistake, DAVE and I were worn out.
I started to barter services in order to get a break from potty walks in artic tundra temps hahahhaa

I am almost embarrassed to say how long it took me to potty train Peanut and OH she like to chew every so often....

Max is now 16mos old and real mamma's boy, peanut is slowly maturing at 11mos

and now I just got a 3rd doodle that is 4mos old that I just took for a 15min potty walk...he didn't potty but the cold air made me want to myself when i came in hahahaaaaaa

hang in there as we tend to laugh later on or when we read about someone else's doodle doing "unwanted behavior" hahahhaa

Doodles are great, and all puppies are like little kids, they'll wear you out at 1st till you get the hang of things and fins your sense of humor

·
Registered
204 Posts
Don't give up . . . it can only get better

mhs7386,

I'm in a similiar situation. We have an old (16 yr old) lab and Abbey our F1 labradoodle is our fourth dog over a 40 year marrage. So it's been 16 years since we've had a pup.

You seem to take one step forward and two back. Abbey is doing well , but she is a handfull. We watched a Sirius Puppy Training video I got out of the library tonight. And learned a bit on how to stop her bitting. I've noticed that the bitting is getting better after we kept correcting her. She was barking at me tonight because I wasn't getting her dinner out to her fast enough. Bossy little girl.

She is also protesting when put in her play pen a couple of times today. This is new. We have us all signed up for puppy class that starts Nov 14. Can't wait for that.

She is so smart and you really have to be careful in how you treat her. She is looking for the upper hand. I just keep thinking what a great dog she will be when we finially get through with potty training and obedience training. No matter what she does we love her to death.

Hope you can hang in there.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Leslie, when you mentioned Dex stealing shoes, shirts, etc., I couldn't help but laugh! Tyke will be exactly 4 months old tomorrow, and getting dressed every morning is a real adventure! She steals everything that isn't nailed down! My mother and I were feeling sorry for ourselves after a particularly bad day with Tyke, and vowing that there was NO WAY our American Eskimo (who we lost in July - she was 15) Fritzy was that bad. Then Tyke came in the room with the end of a toilet paper roll - the rest of the TP had been draped all over the house! We remembered that Fritzy had done the very same thing at Tyke's age! :lol:

You just have to remember -puppies are babies - very active, mobile babies! It is a headache sometimes, but I wouldn't trade it for the world !

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Boy, I can relate.

Cinnamon was the first pup we'd had for a long time, I'm thinking almost 30 yeas. We'd had lots of dogs - rescues from others who didn't like shedding, had landlord troubles, divorces, whatever. They came either as adults or stayed outside most of the day.

I was working 2 PT jobs along with hubby's FT job & travel when Cin came along. She was the second dog we've had to potty train, the first being over 30 yrs ago. I'll have to say she went pretty easy, but at the time I was wondering if we had made a mistake. That first month we had her was a nightmare for me, I think because I was stressed anyway. I didn't have the nipping problem, but she loved anything wood, furniture, walls, whatever. I'd ask DH to watch her and he did alright, he watched her pee & poop on the carpet and tell me about it. Big help.

Anyway, I think I can say I feel your pain, but hang in there. Cinnamon has been the easiest dog to train, she is so smart. I'm thinking it is a doodle trait as I read all the posts on this forum. Feel free to vent any time, that's what we're here for. That and to read what Annmarie's newest adventures has gotten her into!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Leslie, when you mentioned Dex stealing shoes, shirts, etc., I couldn't help but laugh! Tyke will be exactly 4 months old tomorrow, and getting dressed every morning is a real adventure!
hehe...Dex is 15 mos old and still does this. I know why he does it too - it's totally to get our attention to try to get us to chase and play with him (esp in the morning when we're getting ready for work).

Kirby was somehow (I think the fear of God was instilled in him) trained to not touch things that don't belong to him so he sits there watching Dexter and looks totally confused...haha. Dexter is still a big puppy (although is much much better with most behaviors) and just wants to play almost all the time.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tim and I became doodle parents at the ripe old age of 62/63. I haven't had a puppy for almost 40 years having rescued older dogs most of my life. Well let me tell you it has been a real adventure. Tanner has been a wonderful addition to our lives..he is keeping us young.

House is dirtier, lots of "things" have teeth marks and some have been shredded.

The result has been that now at 15 months we have the most loving, smart, sweet dog that either of us has ever experienced.

I understand if this isn't the time for you to take on this challenge but if it is, come here to vent any time and we will all try to offer encouragement and tips to make it easier.

God bless....

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Don't despair!
The tears will be replaced by laughter soon enough!
My biggest regret?
I didn't appreciate the "tiny puppyhood" as much as I should have.
Never having had a dog before Ebbe tested every last bit of patience, the house didn't get cleaned, pants/socks/shirts/ ruined.
And never letting go of the bottle of Nature's Miracle got old fast.
Do it again? Absolutely!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hang in there. It DOES get better. The first few weeks with Boyd were emotionally and physically exhausting! I wouldn't trade it (or him) for anything though. Before you know it you'll be wishing you had your cute little puppy back! :lol:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Oh yes, we are feeling overwhelmed at times too. Lost our 12 year old golden only 3 months ago and I felt I couldn't get through a cold winter on my own with the kids being in school and hubby at work. So I took Bailey on early knowing this would be a challenge. Read my post on peeing (submissive) - it's the last thing in the world I wanted to deal with!!! Because I was the one who wanted the puppy 'now', I feel it's my job to do most of the training and make him a good pup for the rest of the family.

BUT, we love waking up to the happy little bundle each morning. He puts our whole family in a good mood right off the start. I see my shy little 4 year old boy coming out of his shell as he shows off his beloved puppy to the kids at school - what a confidence builder, everyone wants to be his friend now. When he comes home from school he doesn't say 'hi' to me anymore, just 'where's Bailey?' It's so touching and when I see that I know the work is worth it.

Once the kids are gone to school and my husband is off to work, Little 'B' and I go for a nice walk. Then the rest of the day it is up and down the stairs constantly taking him to his potty spot. Hey, I've lost 5 pds without even trying!! We take each day one at a time and celebrate each day that all the pees and poops have been done outside!

For us, the Kong has been a godsend as well as stuffed bones and of course the crate. He now goes in his crate with no complaints and we both get our breaks. That wasn't easy. Tethering Bailey in the house close to me has changed things also. No more accidents in the house and less chewing. I've been able to ease up on it a bit too, as I learn his schedule.

I miss my old girl so much and appreciate how easy she was, so calm, so easy to train. But Bailey has started to heal our hearts and make us laugh again. I know your puppy will do that for you too - hang in there - we will get through this together!!!!

By the way, this forum has been a godsend. Never would have gotten through this without everyone. Just makes you feel better knowing you aren't alone. I thought I was the only one in the world with a submissive peeing problem dog - not so. Makes it easier.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Lily, I got my Tyke in about the same way you took on Bailey! My Eskie, Fritzy, was 15 and suffering from numerous health problems, including Cushing's disease and spondylosis, both of which were getting progressively worse. Knowing that I wouldn't have her much longer, in early July, I contacted a labradoodle breeder that I knew (my sister had gotten one from her about a year before) and asked to be put on her waiting list. Thank heaven I did, because a week after the breeder put me on her list, Fritzy took a turn for the worse. Not wanting to have her suffer with no hope of getting better, I decided it was time to say goodbye. That was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make, and I don't know if I would have had the courage to do it without knowing that there would be a puppy coming soon to help heal the heartbreak. Even though we had to wait until late August for Tyke, knowing that she was there, and keeping up with her (our breeder sent updates and pictures almost every week) is what got me through losing Fritzy. Now Tyke helps me remember Fritzy with a smile everytime she commits one of the same puppy "crimes" that Fritzy used to do. To paraphrase Charlie Brown, happiness truly is a warm (and fuzzy!) puppy!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts