Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a rock chewer?

Annabelle loves to chew on rocks, which she always finds in the backyard, we throw them back where they belong , but she always finds them.

It's 2am, I'm watching TV and playing on puter and hear her chomping down the hall that didnt quite sound like a chew bone, I go down the hall and there she is chewing on a rock :roll: , she knew she was busted and jumped up and had an "ut OH" look on her face - I replaced her rock with a bone and she is happy for the moment but she loves chewing on rocks

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MY two pick them up and carry them around :roll: till i say DROP IT.

I have a rule: when we go back inside they have to DROP whatever is in their mouth or I just stand at the door and stare at them.
WORKS everytime. :D

Doodles remind me of when my kids were small ...get into everything when you blink too long :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She brought another one in around 7am, walked in living room, I said "come here", she turns her head drops it out of my eye sight and runs over, sits down at my feet and gives me the "I didn't do anything" look LOL I get up walk around corner and pick up rock, AB turns and goes and lays down around the corner - Love my girl :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter loves rocks. He chews them...throws them to himself and runs around the yard doing doodle 500s with them. He knows he's not supposed to have them which makes keep away (keep the rock away from us) one of his favorite games...oh our little clown!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I have Jonah with a couple of rocks that have "passed through"!
That doesn't sound very pleasant :wink:

Dex seems to just keep them in his mouth and not swallow them...although I guess I wouldn't know if he was swallowing them :roll:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cali chews on everything, rocks included. Fortunately she doesn't seem interested in swallowing. Thank goodness! Poor Jonah, that had to hurt. :(

·
Registered
985 Posts
Rocks, sticks, hickory nuts, pinecones - whatever's hard and fits in her mouth. Clamshells are a big favorite these days, but I do try to stop those tasty items from becoming house toys.

Annmarie, I like your rule. I think Chouette is getting the general drift, but nothing like making it a houserule to improve consistency.

Leslie

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 12 week old Cooper is also a rock chewer and anything else he can "hoover" off the ground. Worse than any toddler I had around!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
My yard doesn't have rocks, but Nicky absolutely loves to eat sticks! He searches for them in the mulch. He jumps up to get the lower maple tree branches and then breaks off sections to chew AND swallow. He's been doing this since I got him last December. (He'll be 11 months old on Monday.) Sometimes a stick upsets his stomach and he'll vomit the pieces, but usually he doesn't have any problem.

He chews and swallows pieces of fabric from his soft toys and he'd also eat the fiberfill stuffing if I don't catch him quickly enough. He doesn't just pull it out! He'll also eat the fibers of toys that are rope or have rope attached. So far tennis balls are still whole, but yesterday he peeled the felt covering off another similar ball and ate it (the covering, not the ball).

Since Nicky will eat most anything, I have a hard time finding things for him to play with or chew on that he won't destroy. He doesn't really chew his Kong (he just licks the treats out) and although he loves rawhide, it doesn't really agree with him. After eating it he acts like he doesn't feel good. I have been giving him a white Nylebone (did I spell that right?) to chew on, but worry about the roughness of it and the little bits that I'm sure he swallows.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Sticks are the favorite. He liked rocks when he was
little, but sticks are easier to shred. When he comes to the door
and starts going around in a circle then I know he has something
in his mouth and he has to give it.
Poor Denver gives it away every time.
I keep treats whether they be food or toys by the back door
so I always have something to trade for. Seems more fair :wink: :wink:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hehe...Dexter tries to be sneaky. He'll act "normal" but his mouth will be closed in a way that makes it obvious there's something in there :) He will trade for a treat though, but won't give it up otherwise.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
He will trade for a treat though, but won't give it up otherwise.
Leslie, That is what I mean, bahahhhahaaaaa!!!!!!!!
I keep treats to trade, to be fair to my dog.
Am I addicted or what, meaning I should just expect to take the
stick away that could be harmful but then I feel mean so he gets
a treat which is probably why he tries to bring a stick into the
house in the first place. Boy he has me well trained.(teehee)
But we both love the game so...............

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Montana is the oldest and still the worst one here about chewing/eating stuff she shouldn't. Her favorite passtime is to peel tennis type balls. She gets great satisfaction from grabbing hold of that outter covering with her front teeth and just pulling it off til the ball is bald.

I make sure they always have plenty of chews within reach, but she's really the only one that is at all destructive about it. We have no rocks here for them to find, which is probably a good thing by the sound of it. lol

G

·
Maya will eat anything she can get. So I thought last night when I had to give her a pill for her upset tummy she would just take it and swallow it. NO WAY!!!! That would be too easy. She'll eat anything that's not good for her though!!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I LOVE reading everyone's stories hahahaa cause it means i am NOT alone !!! hahhahaaaaaaa and makes me laugh more

Peanut cannot come back inside the house UNLESS she a what we call a "prize" HOWEVER she has learned I stand at the door and stare at her till she DROPS IT, which she does !
Dave is now complaining our doorstep is full of sticks, pinecones etc he has to clean up hahhahaaaaaaaaa

1 - 20 of 36 Posts