Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Sandy back to the vet yesterday because I wanted to make sure it wasn't an infection of any sort. The vet said his ears look clear, and that it has probably just turned into a habit for him.

Then this morning I noticed he bit yet ANOTHER huge chunk of fur off of them and he looked absolutely goofy - so I had to trim the fur back to his ear. I'm so sad, I loved his furry ears! Hopefully this will get him to forget his ears so when they grow back, I won't have to do it again.

Pics to follow shortly when the camera battery is charged.

**edited because my thoughts came out as a jumbled mess and didn't make any sense, LOL

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
the only time my dog chews her ear is when food is in them. perhaps the long ears caught a crumb and your doggy was eating it? I tuck her ears up under her collar sometimes when she eats.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no.. this goes beyond just one day and has been through multiple baths - he has done it for as long as he could reach them - its just gotten much worse lately, and more noticeable because of the length of the fur - its ALWAYS soaked with doggy slobber!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh...

are his ears long enough to reach his mouth?? Hmmm...

But to answer your question - no Dex has chewed at many parts of himself but never his ears.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leslie, the actual ear wasn't long enough, but the fur sure was!

Here is a picture of him and Annie at the beginning of the week... Notice his left ear has a big chunk of fur missing - the right side was matched as of this morning... now there isn't any dangling fur left at all!

(edit: Annie, forgive me for once again posting the picture of you and your swollen face!)

These I just took today, after the trim. I miss his obnoxious ears!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh!!! Could you maybe put a little bitter apple on the fur on his ear where he chews?

Annie - don't be upset your mom posted those photos - you are very pretty in all photos your mom has ever posted! Hope you are feeling better :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhhh Sandy is adorable and i hope Annie feels better soon.

i have not a clue about ear chewing.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
HOpe Annie is feeling better !

Sandy looks so sweet - Annabelle has never chewed her ears but her hair never gets that long so she can't reach it, other than keeping ear short or putting something on it that tastes nasty.
But you want to be careful what you put on Sandy's fur since her an Annie are so close all the time, wouldnt want Annie getting close to Sandy's ear and having an allergic reaction to something you put on the ear :cry:

she does however trie to swallow her back leg on occassion, must taste pretty darn good :roll:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
sounds like a nervous habit then, like chewing your nails. maybe some bitter apple or a nice shave ear for a few months.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Kristen, i was wondering how long Sandy's ears are they he can reach them to chew on them. I wonder if it's a nervous condition?? is there any way to distract him with a favorite toy instead like we do when they first try to chew a chair when a small puppy?

I also think of food allergies as a long shot that is.

Max and peanut chew on each other's ears when playing.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon used to suck on her fore leg when she was a young pup. She did out grow it, but I think she did it because it was there. Could be the same with Sandy. I'll bet that if you kept them clipped for a while, he would forget about them and then you could let them grow again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Sawyer used to chew on his ear when he was a puppy. He would run around the house with his ear in his mouth as if he'd stolen it, like a stolen sock! He stopped doing it, though. Now, Huck chews it for him!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts