Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I was just wondering if there are any gardeners on this forum? I'm looking for some help with plant i.d.

We moved into a new house not too long ago, and I have no clue what any of the plants in our garden are! :shock: (We went from a New England garden that was shady and humid to a California garden that's full sun and dry dry dry! So much for hostas! :? )
If you have a moment, could you visit the blog I made? (It has photos of all the plants.) If not that's okay, I'll see if I can post something on that Gardenweb site too. Thanks!
http://www.whattheheckisthisplant.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
thanks ...been in landscaping for over 20yrs

OK the vine with orange or red flowers: trumpet vine

weird trailing thing: juniper, quite drought tolerant , evergreen (doesn't lose leaves/needles), needs acidic food if turning brown or yellow and/or has green lush growth'
can use Miracle acid food either by spraying or putting in soil

thing with yellow and green leaves....hard to tell by pic but
if not CUSHION SPURGE IS GREAT ...BOXWOOD is slowgrowing , will die out if dog urninates on it as the salt in the urine burns the leaves.

how about this....Seazr is one person who also has an awesome garden too.

plants good for calif:

perennials: sedums,or succulents, cacti, coneflowers, daisies, verbena,
ornamental clumping grasses, daylilies,
are just a few

NOW one of the best books to buy ever like the gardener's bible of all times and well worth the money
sold at bookstores like Borders, Barnes and nobles , possibly
amazon or half.com

READER'S DIGEST TO ILLUSTRATED GARDENING

you can identify plants, learn growth requirements/habits, pruning, propagation and MORE!!

I'll be more helpful next week...bit busy here still hahaha

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know them plant cause I dig up and ate them that plants,was my mama some mad at me.Grandmas a gardner and surely knows them names of them plants.Im a dirty Doodle..I love to digg..haha

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I'm not a big gardener so can't help

the one you are calling ornamental grass is called Lirope

you might want to ask a neighbor who has lived in the area and gardens to come over and help you out

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Sessa juniper doesn't get any flowers and is evergreen and usually a bit prickly to the touch but comes in various shades of green to bluegreen.

now another ground cover that is semievergreen and forms a nice lush green carpet with wonderful forget-me-not LIKE WHITE flowers is called
sweet woodruff aka galium and is VERY DROUGHT tolerant !
there's Liriope which is nice but there are even dwarf daylilies , fragrant ones too, etc and such a diversity available . EXtremely drought tolerant!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW! Thanks everyone for all of the GREAT info, suggestions, and links! :lol: I love gardening so this is very exciting!

And thanks Annmarie for all of the great drought-tolerant suggestions! I'm gonna go look those up. Succulents/ice plants and ornamental grasses are definitely on my list of must-haves.

I figure I should take advantage of the new climate and try lots of new stuff. And I'm sick of hostas and impatiens! :oops:

Puppy Max from Canada- you are sooo cute...but you're not allowed in my garden! :wink: :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts