Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday Emily (14 weeks) went for her final round of shots. she had DHPP and Lepto. The vet asked me to pay attention to swelling of the face and lethargy which could happen within first hour. Emily was the same happy puppy she always is. Then in the middle of the night I heard her cry in the crate (she never cried in the crate, even in first night). And today she did not want breakfast or any food and has been sleeping all day long. No other symptoms (poop is fine, etc).

In the pm I took her to the vet who thought she is a bit dehydrated. So they have her fluids and did blood work. Seems her red cell count is on low side but she wants to confirm that and sent blood to another lab.

Meanwhile I brought her home and she is laying down under the table with the saddest possible face.

Anyone has any experience with lepto and side effects? Thanks much for any info

Maria and Emilty

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
annieG said:
http://labradoodle-dogs.net/forums/about1834.html&highlight=lepto

Here is a posting where it was discussed some time ago...also go to search and type in Lepto
This was my post, it was a horrible night. I was later told that dogs under a year should not be given the Lepto vaccine. Everything turned out fine, but I learned never to make an appointment for shots during the week, only on Fri or Sat in case they have a reaction and we are up all night.

We have had 2 families lose their dogs to Lepto, one to a strain not covered by the vaccine and the other they couldn't positively say which strain. I struggle with maybe having it given to Lani and Toby with their next round of shots.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. I did a search on internet on Lepto vaccine sid effects. Very scary. Should have done that before yesterday. Sad thing is my 7 year old niece is flying this weekend just to be with Emily. First time she was here to visit, the week after i got her Emily has just had a second surgery to address issues with her spaying (breeder did early spaying and vet left a hole inside by mistake).

She at least ate her dinner, still looks sleepy and sad. we shall see how night goes.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
maria i sure hope all goes well with Emily and please keep us posted.

the reaction to lepto is scary

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
How is Emily doing this morning Maria???? Hugs to you and her, and I hope this passes real soon! Keep us posted! :wink:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good morning to all of you. She is her happy self again!!!! :D :D :D and now off to the airport to pick up my niece. Thanks for all the getting well wishes. Scary experience!!!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
YES,,it can kill them,,these vet should NOT to given that to a puppy!!!!,,OMG, that just irks me,, he KNEW that there was a possiblity and did it anyway,,,

this reaction and manifest itself in a day or a week or more, so you are not out of the woods tottally yet

Not only swelling but little bumps,around mouth gums ears, its gross
the swelling and cut off their airway, the bumps takes weeks or months to heal and the dog get back to normal,

first you need to call this guy and give him a what for
then,,find another [email protected]!!!!!

I have to look for the links for you,,if i dont get back to this thread email me!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts