Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious....because it seems that despite her webbed feet and labrador genes, our pup does not seem to like water. She looks very disgusted when she gets her feet wet in rain puddles and will avoid them at all costs... and sometimes she refuses to go outside when it is raining.

Was it love at first sight with your doodles and water? ...or did it take them time to discover how much fun it is?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hmmm...how old is she? Dex was 1 before he ever experienced water (for swimming)...he took to it pretty quickly. Kirby is not a water fan...poor guy...must be the Irish Setter vs Lab thing. He will go into the water to retrieve a toy, but I know it's only because he wants that toy...he won't just go into the water for the heck of it.

G

·
Maya is a fish. She loves the water although the first couple times she was very awkard and didn't really know how to swim.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I think it depends on what they were exposed to during critical times in puppy development. Dante is not a fan of his baths or going out to go potty if it is downpouring. We did spend some training sessions with him with water and once he got the hang of swimming he loves it. Our dog park is in a drainage area and if we get rain it always holds water for a day or two. I can count on bringing home a wet doodle if I let him out to play.

·
Registered
260 Posts
kumo was a bit shy as a puppy, both with new people and in new situations. he didn't take to water immediately. what did it for him was when we took him to the beach with us, and both my fiance and i went swimming. kumo didn't want to be left alone on shore, so in he came after us!

now ursus, who is 5.5 months old now, is another matter entirely. he is basically the opposite of shy -- he'll try just about anything, especially if he sees his big brother doing it. this weekend, we had them both playing fetch in the river.

-em

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver did not care for the water
the first couple of months that we took
him to the beach. He would sort of walk in it
but did not like to go to far in. At that time he was
just around 4 to 6 months old. The second season of beach
weather he was a different dog and took to the water like crazy.........
He will be 2 at the end of this month and he loves to swim!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Lucas was not extremely interested in water at first either and didn't like to potty in the rain as a pup. Potty in the rain problem got fixed after many rainy days of us in the yard with him. As the weather got warmer, he would touch the lakes edge on our walks and we would fetch with him close to the shoreline... the first few times he got in the water deep, he didn't like it! But now, it's like he's an old pro! He's still not the best swimmer... we figure this will change once it's warm enough for us to swim with him... But, now on our walks at the lake, he walks in the water, almost the whole time... I think he has figured out that it really cools him down...

Della on the other hand... looks for water... whether it's a puddle in the street or the lake... she wants to be in it!!!

And they both do great at bath time...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hummm...Uma doesn't like puddles and acts like I'm abusive when she gets a bath, but she swims like a fish. Some times she;s the only dog in the lake at the dog park, happy as can be. She makes these wild, grand entrances with a huge splash followed by lots of kicking. :)

We haven't brough Junebug to the park yet, but she seems to like everything her sister likes so I'm sure she'll do fine.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
when im watering outside Toby refues to come outside..when i even get
out the wipes he very timid coming to be to clean up..

yet on walk s and and at the dog park he has no problem sitting in
the mud puddles, laying in them then finally rolling it them :?

he s almost 7mos old now..is he going to out grow this?..and maybe start to enjoy FRESH WATER?

·
Registered
80 Posts
2 weeks ago i took molly (6 months old) to a stream behind our house for the first time (we live in the countryside surrounded by streams and forests etc)

after reading about doodles and seing videos, i was expectin her to dive straight in!!

She went to the bank, but would not go in at all, as its part of a new walking route, she goes to the stream every day and has started just paddleing down the shallow end, she seems to enjoy the splashing of he running up and down :D, just took time

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sandy hates baths and puddles, but will follow you into water... as long as his feet touch the bottom.

I can't keep Iris out of the water.

Maggie I have no idea - I can't wait until her cast comes off... she stinks!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
debbildog said:
Sandy hates baths and puddles, but will follow you into water... as long as his feet touch the bottom.

I can't keep Iris out of the water.

Maggie I have no idea - I can't wait until her cast comes off... she stinks!
Try the "waterless bath" spray for dogs. I got it at Target but I'm sure other stores sell it. It's a spray bottle so you can control where it goes. Smells good, too!

·
Registered
29 Posts
We're not sure yet, with Snickers. We were kind of chicken to toss him into our above ground pool last summer (as a young puppy) and didn't have the opportunity to take him anywhere with gradual entrances to water. He definitely does not care for baths. We'll be heading up to the St. Lawrence River at the end of May and in July where he'll have great opportunities to test the water... I am hoping he'll like it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just curious....because it seems that despite her webbed feet and labrador genes, our pup does not seem to like water. She looks very disgusted when she gets her feet wet in rain puddles and will avoid them at all costs... and sometimes she refuses to go outside when it is raining.

Was it love at first sight with your doodles and water? ...or did it take them time to discover how much fun it is?

I can't keep mine out of the water 😫 we live in a remote area, if he's not outside playing with the kids, he's in the water. It doesn't matter what water, ditch, bay, or pool. He's wet most of the day. I had to gate off the back of the house to keep the drips contained.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts