Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I haven't even gotten my puppy and already I can see that people are going to be pains in the butt out here about my choice to get a labradoodle.

Example 1. In the pet store and some male employee comes to ask if I need any help. I was looking at carriers to bring my pumpkin home on the airplane. I say, "Yes I am getting a puppy". He says. "What kind". I say. "A labradoodle". He laughs and walks away! Now did he forget that I needed help? Was what I said funny??

Example 2. I am on line in the fabric store. I can hear two women behind me talking. One says, "Mike is really mad at her for doing what she is doing with those dogs". I keep listening and it turns out that someone is breeding yorkipoos and this is apparently making this dude Mike mad. The one lady says, "Why would you take a dog with a beautiful coat like a yorkie and cross it with something like a poodle?! She was all down on poodles!

Example 3. This one comes from my own aunt who just wanted to know why the heck I would pay so much money for a mutt!

I guess I would like to know why people seem so upset about these designer breeds? Why do they feel like it is an issue for them? They just don't get it!

Stacy
10 days till my mother and I get our black F1B labradoodles!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, Stacy, it is a common and frustrating thing. Unfortunately people think that everyone would like to hear their point of view. Wrong!
What I would do, in this situation, is to write a letter to the pet store, explain that while their idiot sales clerk may not like Labradoodles, you HAD intended on buying A LOT of things for your dog and that because he WAS an idiot, you choose not to do business there. And you might tell them that you will certainly do your best to see that none of your other dog-loving friends do business there either.

I have contemplated running off a bunch of these articles: http://www.akitarescue.com/Canine%20Div ... roject.htm and writing across the top, "Because some people are allergic and others are just plain stupid. I am one, you seem to be the other, aaachooo! Oh, and, by the way...no one really CARES what your opinion is!"
And hand them out when I hear such ignorant people. Really. I plan to! I am soooo sick of this attitude and treatment.

They will never change their minds, but at least they may see that we are not just acting on a whim. I have actually put this link on my web page (it will be published in a few days.)

As far as your aunt goes, well, I would give her the article...without the smart a** comments!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Gosh, Shannon, you put me to shame...you are so level-headed and cool! I wish I could be so forgiving...you are a good person!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I finally got so fed up with a coworker saying negative things about labradoodles I asked her how many sheep she had her dog herding lately since that's what it was bred for.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The funny thing is people forget that ALL pure breeds are artificially selected for certain characteristics and that every single one, from the Maltese to the Malamute, is descended from the wolf.

Let's face it; everyone has an opinion. For example, I don't care for Chihuahuas or any rat-sized dog (I heard they were bred to be hand warmers), but I would never begrudge anyone from having one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too have had people laugh at me when I tell then what kind of dog I have.
I had become hesistant to tell anyone for a bit, but then started thinking *To Hell with them!*.
I'm a firm believer, that people are allowed their own opinion, but I do love watching someone who thought Labradoodles were stupid *designer dogs* snuggle up to my little sweetie and be amazed by his intelligence, instinct, gentleness and his minimal shedding!
You just can't beat that!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
YOU ALL are what makes this forum so great!
I wanna say YOU GO GIRL to every one of ya!

Stacey there are LOTS of other places to get a kennel for your F1b baby!
By the way your breeder doesn't happen to be named Norma does she? There's a doodle breeder in the Phoenix area by that name I think, that I've corresponded with! And we have a Black Beauty (f1b) in Phoenix too! We called her "Twinkle" because of her white toes on all 4 feet. :D

I bet you'll find plenty of support for your doodle, and you will soon have a SHOW-STOPPER to be proud of!

Oh, that reminds me someone from your area was interested in these new puppies, I should find her email addy and write her!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Maureen,

I got my carriers. The sales person (different person of course) did give a chuckle this time as well but it was a kind chuckle and then he actually HELPED me!

My mother and I are getting puppies from Linda (4 Paws Puppies). I didn't even know that there were breeders out here. Mom and I fly out to Kansas City on Monday and not only get our pups but get to visit with Linda a while! I am so excited.

This board is full of such terrific people. I am so new to anything DOG. I haven't had a puppy since I was 7 years old and I have never myself owned a dog so this is so new to me. I am becoming a crazy doodle mom already and I don't even have my puppy! I am researching and shopping and I think I must look at the pictures I have of these pups about 50 times a day. I already love them!

I'm not going to let anyone's ignorance or negativity get me down! This is such a wonderful new journey I am about to embark on. I can't wait to hold my new baby!

Stacy
6 days to go!

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I told my family that we were getting a labradoodle, they all said "a what!!?" Then they met her and all the hearts were melted. My mom tells everyone that I have a labradoodle and shows pictures. But you'd have to know my mom. If there is such a thing as reincarnation, then I want to come back as her pet. She's a spoiler!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I don't know if labradoodles are more popular in Canada, but everyone that I have told about getting mine had at least heard of them. I must admit I might have chosen a name other than labradoodle, but, a name is just a name and it is the dog that counts.

Ours is growing like crazy. You can almost see her grow! She will be 8 weeks tomorrow. She is changing every day, learning more things, becoming easier in some ways but more challenging in others. She eats everything! I hope that is a puppy thing that she will outgrow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Doodle ignorance

We have finally selected our Chocolate F1b and my husbands Uncle and Aunt are in the market for a dog. Their Border Collie died last year at the ripe age of 16. So I suggested they get one of our pups litter mates and they totally scoffed at the idea, based solely on the fact that the breed is called Labradoodle. His Uncle could not stop laughing. So I can't wait for our little guy to get here so they can see what they missed out on. SUCKERS!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh Julie, I KNOW! Everyone laughed at me too but now everyone who meets Coal says how cute and smart he is. My step daughter who is 22 saw Coal on Christmas for the first time and said, "Oh, he's so cute. I thought he would be much uglier and funky looking". Sheesh!! :roll:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I live in Canada and pretty much everyone I have told about our labradoodle had heard of them, or knew someone that had one. I wonder if they are more popular here, or that is just a coincidence. We had Sadie out for a walk the other day and people stopped and asked us if she was a labradoodle. I guess she has the look.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I bet they will change their mind once they see your pup and is around him. I had a couple e-mail me a great update on the pup they have and said they had done a lot of traveling over the holidays and that everyone that met "Happy" says their next dog is going to be a Labradoodle :D :D They just have a way with everyone they meet :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Tejas started class last week and when he entered the room he bolted in like I'm here now so lets get this thing started!! :lol: Everyone had to come up to him and see what kind of puppy he was and just loved him. :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts