Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of yesterday morning, Janet was back in the hospital fighting food poisoning. –At least that’s what Jerry seems to want to believe; I’m sure the cancer has wreaked havoc on her immune system.
The insurance adjustors have not arrived yet due to weather—white-out conditions; but they finally gave the ‘OK’ to removing salvageable items from the house.
From originally sounding not too bad, every time I talk to Gene, it's sounding worse and worse. Gene said they are removing items from the house and staging and categorizing them into:
1.) OK
2.) Damaged but repairable
3.) Ruined.
He said the “ruined” pile from the first floor is significant. A lot of the furniture is ruined—two of the four couches; the other two are slightly damaged. The dining room set in fine because the feet prevented the water from soaking up. Janet had many new, numbered prints, still in bubble wrap waiting to be hung that are ruined. And it goes on and on. It just makes me sick to think about it--I guess most of the many pictures on the wall are ruined. Janet loves puzzles and she had a table and chair area where she worked on them. Gene said it looked as though she had just started one but the puzzle pieces were twisted from the humidity.
The only good news is that Jerry was really concerned about Jan’s box of photographs that was sitting on the floor—Janet is a film relic, refusing to switch to digital. For some happy reason, her prints are fine!!! Thank goodness for at least that

We got such bad news about our Eagle Lake neighbors, Jerry and Janet. (Janet is my friend that is diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer.) They escaped to the lake for a few days at Christmas—between Janet’s treatments. Well, I guess with all Jerry has on his mind—he is not dealing well at all with Janet’s illness—he neglected to winterize their house when they left. A main waterline froze and burst upstairs in their house. One of our friends detected it when she came to check on our house after a power outage. As she was leaving our house she noticed strange icicles hanging all over their house. She got her husband and they shut Jerry’s pump off and peered inside. They saw water flowing down the stairs. All of the windows are condensated. Seems the leak spread into the walls and, most likely, broke through the sheetrock. They said water appears to be pouring out all over. If only you could see their house—it is gorgeous, like a true mountain lodge. Janet is such a fabulous decorator. They are into animal mounts and have deer, antelope and trophy moose heads, fish mounts and beautiful artwork on their walls. Through . . . circumstance . . . Gene had the happy job of breaking the news to Jerry last night. Jerry and Janet had just returned from Hawaii the day before. They went with another couple we know—the three of us (couples, that is) are the sailboat partners for you long-timers to the forum. Jerry and Janet left Hawaii early because Janet had a scheduled chemo appt—today. Guess Hawaii was not too good. Janet had the first bad chemo reaction and supposedly food poisoning—I’m afraid it probably wasn’t food poisoning. . . upon arriving home, they had a near levee break on their property and now this. Jerry was devastated when he heard the news but is so distraught about Janet, he told my husband that he could possibly deal with the lake house now. So my husband and Kenny—another good friend of Jerry’s left for the lake today to see what they could stabilize and salvage. They will likely call the volunteer fire department in to help mop all the water up and remove water damaged carpet and whatever else. Yes, it is that bad. Have not heard from Gene yet other than a message that he and Kenny are there . . . So sad . . . It’s so hard to know what to do or how to help in situations like this . . . I pray things get better for them; they don’t deserve this.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
O Diane, I can't imagine how awful this has to be for them on top of Janet's illness.

Will certainly keep them in my prayers - bless Gene and Kenny for stepping up and trying to take care of things for Janet and Jerry.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OH they have a plate overfilling....that is so sad Diane. I sure hope things work out for janet and do they homeowner's insurance to help with the damage?

G

·
Wow, I just said a prayer for them. Make sure someone documents damage for insurance with pictures and maybe keep the damaged items for the adjuster to see...

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MaxandMe said:
OH they have a plate overfilling....that is so sad Diane. I sure hope things work out for janet and do they homeowner's insurance to help with the damage?
Yes they have insurance but even before this, with all the problems they have had recently, Jerry was afraid they'd be cancelled.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Oh Diane! This is so sad!
My prayers are with them. You and yours are doing all you can. They need friends like you.
God Bless.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Ugh....just ugh....

Despite the overwhelming events, they are blessed to have friends like you surrounding them. It would be so easy to just give up.......prayers for strength for them, and for those helping them too.

Please update when you can.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Diane, my prayers continue for your friends. How sad that they're dealing with so much right now.
You're wonderful friends to be helping like you are.
May God bless you all.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
This is such a sad story. The saving grace is her prints on the floor! I'm so glad that many things can be salvaged.....poor Janet.........I hope she pulls through this...prayers for Janet & Gene.

G

·
I am glad the pictures made it through alright!!! The rest is replaceable and fixable. Prayers are with Janet and her family. Also with you and your family for being such a caring friend!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Diane ... We all continue to pray for Janet and Jerry. And know many of those prayers are answered in the form of their good good friend.

Is there anything else we can do? Send her some silly puzzles ... or something that might taste good ... I think you know you don't have to hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jerry called us this afternoon. They got the initial damage estimate from the insurance company--$350,000!! :shock: He is obviously very depressed. He was hoping to get Janet up to the lake at least once more before she succumbs to the cancer, but it will be quite awhile before their house is habitable again. They have other houses there but none have fenced areas for dogs. My husband was not thinking; we will offer them the use of our house. It is next door to theirs and has an enclosed deck and a 25' x 60' dog run . . . hopefully they won't be stubburn about it . . .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts