Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's just one thing after another :shock: We get home from work and let the doodles outside. Kirby does his business...then goes to another area and does it again...then again...and again. I go to check out his poop and see blood in it. We brought him to the vet. Luckily the vet doesn't think it's anything too serious. He was put on antibiotics. The vet thinks either 1) he's having allergy issues 2) he has some vitamin deficiency issues 3) he has pancreatic insufficiency (sounds much more serious than it is apparently).

So the food is the easiest to try to fix. He told us to switch him to a fish/potato formula (so we picked up some fish and sweet potato natural balance food). We have another appointment in a week. If he's not showing signs of improvement he wants to test for vitamin defiency/pancreatic insufficiency (apparently it's a single test) and if that doesn't show anything than he wants to do a full allergy test. Let's hope the food switch works. If it works, we will try moving Dex over too.

Sorry this is a long post...I'm just happy it doesn't seem to be anything overly serious. There were more explanations for everything I posted, but the post would be way too long for me to write it all :)

G

·
Poor Kirby! At least he went outside! What a good boy!
Couldn't he just be sick? Like a stomach bug that humans get?
My vet has always said that the stomach lining is very easily irritated and do not be concerned with some blood for a few days (in vomit or poop).
Keep us posted!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wondered if he just had a bug too. The vet said his paws are really inflamed and that's a sign of allergies. He mentioned him looking like he could be suffering from allergies last week too, but we didn't actively do anything about it. I have no problem switching to a different variety of the same food so we'll see what happens.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he has been to the dog park, but not to daycare. Oh - the vet said the blood was from over straining to poop. He seems to think allergies cause many problems (that systems are inter-related). I can believe he is having allergies from his itching. The vet wanted to try to avoid any expensive tests and try the new food first - we'll see :) Kirby seemed to like the new stuff well enough :) He definitely does not seem sick at all.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
leslie sorry to hear this is happening with Kirby...and keep us posted!
i sure hope his new food is the fix :D

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Oh Leslie, sorry to hear that Kirby is ailing. I hope you can quickly turn this around with the change of food.

Vanessa, I checked with Tanner's daycare and so far he is the only one that has gotten sick but there is the possibility that another dog that he has been around had the flu.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Wow - flu bugs going around doggie day care - they really ARE our kids, aren't they??? Poor Kirby - I have allegies too, and think that a runny nose is bad enough! Hope the new diet does the trick - By the way, Tyke loves that same Natural Balance fish and sweet potato - I mix a little of that in her dry food and she gobbles it up!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
he seems fine. The vet wants to check him out again next week so we'll see then. Thanks for asking. Is Tanner better? Poor gassy guy!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts