Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anthony decided to let Napa have some of his cornish hens we had for dinner the other night and I'm thinking it doesn't agree with him. He's had really soft poo for the past two days now, and we started to fast him. But I think he's hungry and wants food.

The reason I didn't listen to the other topics is because I can't get Napa to eat rice. So, I'm hoping you guys could help me brain storm some other food to give him tonight. I'm running to the store for human food anyway.

Thanks!

Kristen

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
so will he not eat rice? Can you spoon some pumpkin or yogurt on it? Also you can add some boiled chicken to the rice. I think you can add boiled ground beef to the rice too (we have never tried that one). Finally I have heard of pouring chicken broth over the rice. Good luck - hope he feels better!! You could always just give a spoonful of pumpkin, but then he'll still be hungry

·
Registered
593 Posts
We added boiled hamburger to the rice for Sam.

We actually boiled the hamburg first but didn't dump all of the hamburgery water out. Then boiled the rice in the water the hamburger was already in so it tasted a bit more yummy!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yes, cottage cheese is a good one too, maybe your doodle will eat that???

Boiled chicken, hamburg, cottage and rice is what we were told is good for sick doggies...

Sam didnt eat just the rice, he tried to get most of the hamburg out of his bowl which is when we came up with the using the hamburgy water for the rice idea...

Hope Napa feels better soon!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
All of these things are good options.

Don't worry too much if she doesn't eat for a day...so long as she is getting liquids. She will eat when she is hungry. But...do make sure that she eats something within a couple of days, if not it could mean a blockage...just what you wanted to hear, huh? I don't think it is that, unless she ate the cooked bones too.

When my tiny pups get watery stools or throw up, I feed a mixture of boiled chicken, rice (overcooked and mushy) and a bit of pumpkin. I feed it for 3 or 4 days, each day I add more and then if they are holding it well, I start adding back their regular food in small portions...if the illness picks up again, go back to square one.

I start with a very soupy mixture, mostly water. I do break the chiken up into tiny pieces for them to have with the rice. They like that and always eat everything, so long as there is chicken involved!

You could try a little Peptobismol, that always works for my dogs when they aren't feeling well.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Poor Napa! Guess the cornish hens were a bit too rich for his tummy!
All the advice you have gotten here is great - for the last few months of my Eskie, Fritzy's life, her stomach seemed particularly sensitive - we went the stewed chicken and boiled hamburger route, and an occasional bout with the Pepto. Just make sure Napa doesn't get dehydrated, and as the others said, don't rule out a blockage - if he's not better soon - got to the vet! Poor baby! With his surgery and everything, he's had a rough few months! Hope you feel better soon, Napa!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys!

Napa is perfectly happy, and really appreciated the pan browned (nothing added) organic chicken breast with rice water.... And is now doing doodle 500s around the house.

He wasn't really acting strange, he was just having messy poops and I wanted to stop irritating his tummy and gi track.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
great to hear Napa is doing better

and like sue said Oatmel is a good , alogn with pumpkin, pinapple, sweet potatoe, boiled chicken or beef

hope all continues to go well

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope he's better too. You just feel for your dog when they're just squatting and nothing really good's coming out. That and he was pooping in three or four places.... But we got him a new toy... its a cube with four squeaky toys inside. It's his new favorite toy. He squeaks the balls and does Doodle 500's around the house. Like I said, I just wanted to stop irritating his system and let it mellow down before starting dog food again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts