Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

BAXTER, black labradoodle, male approx 55-60lb Cincinnati area

Baxter was born November 9th, 2005 His family got him as an older pup, and haven't really had him very long, but have started his obedience training at Petsmart puppy classes, where he's doing quite well - he has mastered "sit", but is still perfecting his "come" and "stay". He's housebroken, crate trained and walks ok on the leash with a haltie,
With a 4 year old child, and another one on the way, the family have realized that their not quite ready for the time and effort required to raise a puppy and two human babies, and that it would be much better for Baxter to go live with someone who has more time for him.
Baxter is a good boy, whose only bad habit is a fondness for digging in the yard sometimes.
He's all up to date on shots, including rabies, and is on heartworm and flea & tick preventative. He has not been neutered yet, unfortunately. We did talk to the owner about getting that done as soon as possible. It's really important that it's done soon - apart from the socially responsible aspect of pet neutering, un-neutered males can develop bad habits like territory marking, humping other dogs or other dominance issue behaviors - and this is the age when those behaviors might start to become noticeable.

Please contact: [email protected] or [email protected] with any questions.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good work, Shannon! He is gorgeous!
I agree Di and it is so frustrating.
I worry all the time about puppy placement. I have been lucky with our families, so far, they are wonderful, responsible and loving people. I do try to tell them the things about their puppy that might cause them extra work...like if the puppy is a digger, a chewer, an escape artist...and I always tell them that any dog, including a Labradoodle, can become a bad family dog (not a bad dog, mind you) if there is little or no consistent training.
But, as you said, telling people and having them learn it from experience are often two completely different issues.
I am starting to put my name on all of the microchip registration cards (and phone number) since Linda's rescued puppies turned up. I was so glad that they called her!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am also glad they called her, and that she went to get them. Honestly, I don't even think some of these are bad family members. I think it is people think we live in a throw away society, and if you have kids, why have a dog get in the way? I have obviously never been that way, but some people are. Kozmo got a new home, and they are happy as heck with him. None of the issues the old family mentioned. Makes you wonder, right?

·
Registered
689 Posts
I know how our LDs have gotten into my heart so its hard to see how people can give their LDs up. On one hand I hope its a wrenching decisions---on the other hand I hear some of these stories about dogs being rescued and living with a loving family and its a relief.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Jac, I took the liberty of listing you as the alternate contact for Copper so you are on his as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts