Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to eat tonight and debated what to do with Canada, but at my husbands urging, decided to trust her and see how she'd do being left home alone for a little while.

I came home to find the curtains in the kitchen and living room tore down, and a HUGE puddle of urine in the middle of my BED! I was hoping since she's normally very calm, that she'd just wait for us to get back without freaking out. Well so much for that idea! I had a large expensive foam pad on top of my mattress, so that prevented the urine from getting to the mattress, but the foam is going to have to be replaced.

To top it off, we found small spots of blood here and there and discovered she'd somehow cut her elbow in her frantic ranting.

From now on when I leave she's going to have to be tethered or in a crate much as I know she's going to hate it.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awwwh...poor Canada!! Can you try easing her into being alone? Like leave her for 15 minutes for a few days than 30 minutes, etc?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I agree with Leslie. Just take baby steps. That is what we did with Cacao. It seemed to work.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
so sorry to hear about the separation anxiety in your home.

i guess a crate might not be a bad idea for the time being, that way Canada is safe, you won't worry
and
later on you can try what others suggested

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Oh dear, poor Canada, poor you. I hope you are able to ease her over this hurdle. I'm sure you will want to go out to dinner some more in your lifetime, LOL, without having to worry about Canada. Best wishes!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Poor Canada......this will take some time and love. Gated in a safe room for the time being??

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since both Moses and Canada do this when I leave, I'm wondering what would happen if I left the 2 of them home together. Would they tear the house apart as a team? Be calmer because each other was there? Tear each other apart just because?

I wish I dared try it to find out. LOL

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Do you know anyone with a camera....like the ones they use to spy on babysitters with? A "doodle-cam". That way you could stop them if they started to damage things or "lose it".

·
Registered
95 Posts
I understand for I too have a dog like this

Max,is kennelded trained,however,he is so attached to me that anytime hes left alone,he howls,whines,barks and even becomes quite destructive.
We named him Beaver Teeth after his last session.
We were so frustrated and tierd of this behavior and tierd of not gettting any good ideas that worked,we were close to giving him away.
Then, I was in a pet shop ,and the owner of this little store,who was a dog trainer told me to put him in his kennel and cover the kennel with a thick dark blanket.Once covered pretend to leave ,shut the door.
When his naughty behavior started,give the top of the kennel a sharp loud whack and say stop or No or whatever word you want to use.
Eventually they will learn not to whine,cry,howl.
The key is to do this when your not going out and can stay by the kennel .
Start with 15 minutes,then 30,45,1 hour.

I have to say at first i thought it was wacky udea.However,Max is responding positivley to this and when hes covered he doesnt see us .
Anyways something to try,it wont hurt,and who knows in the end it may help.
LuBer

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Since both Moses and Canada do this when I leave, I'm wondering what would happen if I left the 2 of them home together. Would they tear the house apart as a team? Be calmer because each other was there? Tear each other apart just because?
We actually feel better about leaving Dex and Kirby home alone together (loose in the house) than just one of them. So far (knock on wood) they have done 5 hrs alone together w/no problems. We did tape them once (via computer webcam) and they both sit on the sofa together and look out the front window...they literally did not budge from the front room :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts