Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on bedtime with puppy. I plan to crate train, but can't quite figure out all of the logistics. I have purchased a large wire crate that has a divider panel. It is located in my office where I spend a lot of time during the day and where it is adjacent to and viewable from the main living area of my house. I have read about crate training and believe I understand the basics for positively introducing the crate to a puppy. (Jac, thanks for that great link that you're always sharing.) My question is related to bedtime. I live in a 2-story house and cannot carry the crate up and down the stairs twice a day. In fact, the crate is so large (and I'm short), I cannot easily carry it to another room. I have read about tethering dogs to your bed during the night and I'm considering this as a bedtime routine. Will tethering work? Do I need to move nearby furnitute (e.g., bedside table) to prevent chewing? Do I need to spend the money to get a second crate? I did read past posts to try to find an answer to this. I see some of you have multiple crates. Is that the way to go?

P.S. Only two more days until I pick up Ruby from Diane! :D And Diane, feel free to chime in with your advice too!

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Becci, you are gonna do great!
First, let me suggest something we ALL could do more often: use the "SEARCH" feature on this forum, because so many questions have already been asked and answered.

Having said that :wink: here's a helpful article about crate-training: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html

how exciting that you get your puppy this week!! :D

What did you decide about choosing 1 puppy or 2?

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
We have a similar problem regarding crate moving, our stairwell is not wide enough. We chose to use the crate for sleeping, and keep it next to our bed. When Hershey gets tired she runs upstairs and puts herself to sleep. The only time we tether is when we are eating and she gets too interested, then we tether her just out of reach. If she isnt house broken, you could wake up to a puddle in the morning if you dont crate her at night since it is such a long time.

G

·
We carried the crate up and down for about a month then said,"Forget it, we're buying another crate!" :lol:
I tried the adorable (size Large) tent crate from Target (because it was cheaper)
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr ... B000B4ALUY
and she HATED it.
I think she was claustrophobic.
The netting was dark and things looked very strange when you looked thru it (Yes, I tried it out :lol: )
I have NEVER seen her so wild and out of control as when I would try to put her in that crate.
So then we bought a larger size wire crate.
After using both for about a month, she decided she likes sleeping downstairs, uncrated, in the kitchen.
I still use the larger crate when small children visit and are afraid of her. And she goes in herself,
from time to time.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Good morning Becci :) Sorry I didn't see your post yesterday evening, it was so busy here that I didn't even check the forum before I went to bed. I think you have already decided what I was going to recommend anyway, a 2nd crate. If you haven't already left for PetsMart, I would get a medium size wire crate or pet carrier for the bedroom. You won't need a huge crate for the bedroom. Something medium size, not too big will make her more comfortable and will feel more den like. You might find it helpful to throw a thin sheet over the crate at nighttime also.

Maureen, Becci has decided on one puppy for now. She is excited about my future Goldendoodle puppies and may decide to go with a Goldendoodle for her next family member. Like your Bandit, Dora's hips did not pass for breeding so she will be spayed and I have found her a wonderful home. I got Derby's hip scores back this week and she is OFA good, thank goodness. So I'm hoping for spring or summer Goldendoodles, I'm so EXCITED :) :) :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked one last time before walking out the door. Thanks, Diane. That's great advice! I will buy a medium crate. Costs me less and takes up less space...I like that. I emailed you a few minutes ago. Are you getting email this morning?

Sorry...I fogot to update on 1 puppy or 2. My mind is full of last minute details to get ready for new puppy. We have a busy schedule starting this afternoon until Saturday p.m. when we pick up Ruby. I'm trying to take care of everything I can and be as ready as possible. Besides a visit to the vet, I hope next week I'm just hanging out with puppy. :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
We look forward to updates on how Ruby is settling in :) I just answered your e-mail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts