Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as I've posted before, we're considering getting a second doodle- I'm definitely a doodleaholic. There might be an opening at a near by breeder for a guardian puppy. Obviously, for initial monetary concern, this would be better than full out buying another puppy, but I want to make sure everything else would run equally as smoothly.

I haven't met with the breeder, yet, to discuss the specifics of the contract or anything. She's not even sure she wants the puppy this far away from her (70-ish miles). But I had a few other concerns.

Napa is a highly attached dog. Even though I don't make a big deal about leaving or coming home, wait to pet him until after I've put my stuff down and he's calmed down a bit, he still whimpers and whines when I leave. He's even worse with Anthony, but Anthony hasn't learned to not make a big deal about leaving and coming- so we won't be concerned with that currently.

We're thinking about getting a female- because we want a female for our future companion. So, does anyone know of guardian families with two dogs? How does the second dog handle the breeding dog's absence when she's whelping the puppies, especially given how attached Napa becomes.

Obviously this isn't our only concern, but its our first big one. So any input towards this concern would be great!

Thanks!
Kristen

·
Registered
560 Posts
I was thinking of doing a guardianship before I got the puppy I have now because financially it was easier to swallow. I think it can work out great - I never considered it as a second dog as we would only have the one. We decided not to go with the guardian program as it just wasn't for us at this time.

Some of our concerns were:
1) What if the dog gets out and gets in an accident. Who is liable, you or the breeder?
2)Is an unfixed dog more work to care for?
3)We like to go to offleash areas and this would be harder to do with an unfixed dog
4)Would we miss her too much when she is with the breeder? I think I could handle 2 mos away as I understand the whole idea, but for my kids it would be difficult.
5) What would you do for dogcare for vacations? My breeder was not comfortable with me putting her 'prize' breeding dog in a kennel. She said she would rather us plan around the dog's breeding patterns or give the dog to her when we go away (a great idea for us).
6)My husband's biggest concern was that the female dog would be our cherished loved pet. What if it died during birthing complications and would it's life expectancy in general be shorter because it's a breeding dog?

Some of the breeders on this board gave me some good things to think about before doing the guardian program. If you search under guardian you should find some info. All in all, we just felt we wanted to get our own dog and not have to worry about the committment to the breeder. I would probably consider it in the future though as the breeder I worked with was so amazing and so considerate of what we would get out of this. Plus we lived quite close to her and she said our family was welcome to visit the dog whenever we wanted while she was with her and in fact encouraged us to do so. So our relationship would have been very open and we would have been a big part of it all. She also said she wouldn't breed this dog for more then 3 litters knowing it was going to be our forever dog.

Anyways, I know that this info doesn't really answer your question about 2 dogs but just thought I would tell you what I know. I know some of the breeders on this forum have guardianship programs and say they work out so well for both the breeder and the guardian family. I really support the idea so that these wonderful dogs end up still be such loved family pets. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
For me, I would find it difficult to part with my dog during breeding. This is a stressful time for the mom and I would hate for her to be with strangers basically during this time. Plus, I'd want to be with the puppies myself. :)

Maybe having puppies isn't as appealing to everyone. We had two litters with our standard poodle and it was a wonderful time for our family.

Deb

1 - 3 of 3 Posts