Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what size blade will give an all over "puppy cut" length? I have a very short doodle from the 10 blade that came with our A5 clippers. And while he LOVES being that short since here in Alabama it is already warm and he is black, I don't want him that short every time.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I use a number 40 blade on my Osters with a #10 blade comb attachment that I think cuts to an inch and 1/4. It has worked great for me but Dante has a very fine fleece coat so the hair is not super thick or coarse and the attachment easily glides right through it.

Heather

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Owned by Barkley said:
I have a very short doodle from the 10 blade that came with our A5 clippers.
How short is very short? Do you have a picture?? I want to take Miko down really short, but not bald.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
A 5 or a 7blade is pretty short, the lower the blade number the longer the cut,
you can go to osters website and they may have a blade chart that tells the exact length

·
Registered
968 Posts
I like the #3 skip tooth blade- leaves the fur about a 1/2 inch long I think. ("Skip tooth"- the spaces between the "teeth" on the clipper blade are bigger.) Boo's coat is very plush and the skip tooth blade was the only one that worked for us. I read somewhere that you can use a "skip tooth" blade first, then use a "regular" #3 blade afterwards (because the regular blade gives a more even, finished trim.) :)

#5 blade - leaves fur about 1/4 inch
#7 blade- leaves fur about 1/8 inch

(I had trouble finding a #3 blade- none of the pet supply stores carried them, so I ended up ordering it online.)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Please everyone,,if you are inexperienced in shaving down a dog ,,

Be very very careful using the 3 4 5 blade
even when using the skip tooth 7blade

the 7f 5f 4f are a bit safer ,,,the skiptooths can tear the skin easily if not very careful

Not to mention that the 5-4-3 wont go thru the coat very well unless you tottally brush comb out before attempting

Sorry the retired groomer just came out in me,, :roll:
I know how desparate some are just wanting to get the dogs groomed and save money,, thats fine, but please know what you are doin before you attempt :shock: :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I don't have a photo, but in the week since I did it he has grown and does not look too bad at all. I just can't imagine grooming him this short in fall or winter, he would freeze! :lol:

But I did read about the skip tooth and they say it is easy to cut them with those.

Luckily Barkley is very laid back when we groom him and I don't have to fight him or I would be scared that I would cut him. He usually lays down and tries to "roach" as we call it on my greyhound boards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts