Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to everyone on this site who welcomed us with open arms.. Its a great feeling to know I have a place to post questions when owning a dog can be so overwhelming.
So here's another one.. :)
I feed my pup 3 times a day.. When is it appropiate to cut down and feed him 2X a day.. i hear lots of different answers.. anywhere from 6 months to 1 year..
Thanks again for all the help..
Rob

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We have always fed 2x a day (since Dex was 8.5 weeks old)...our vet didn't see any problem with this at any time. I think it's a personal (and logistical) preference.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I feed my doodle twice a day and my older golden once a day. If yours is still under six months I don't think three times a day is a problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am also new to this forum. For my 14 month old pup, Butter, I am still feeding him 3 times a day... I once asked similar questions in another forum, everyone said 2 times a day was enough, though 3 times a day was better. It's just a matter of convience.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I free feed all my pets 3 dogs and 1 cat. They have there own room to eat in down stairs (Utillity room) I have 3 bowls of food That I fill up everyday. The dogs eat when ever they want I like it that way. I know some say free feeding isnt a good idea. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old chihuahua they have always been fed this way and they are not over weight so far Tater is almost 11 mo old he has always been fed this way also and he isnt fat yet either. If they ever do become over weight I will manage there food but for now this has worked great for both us and our pets. Oh and our cat is 8 years and he isnt over weight either.
I do however know of some dogs that will eat them selfs sick! If its in the bowl they will eat it till its gone. Free feeding wouldnt work well for them.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I fed max and peanut 3x a day as puppies till they were about 8-9mos old
with Beau he's been a 2 x day since 16 wks old

i have all 3 on same 2x day schedule, Beau ate better for us with this type of schedule and so far i havent' gone thru a stage with him where he doesn't want food
like Max and peanut did as puppies hmmmm

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I fed Charlie 3 times per day until he was about 5 or 6 months. It was a natural transition to 2 times per day. When he was young, he seemed to be always hungry but as he grew, he lost interest in his midday meal. I started cutting it back to less food and eventually eliminated it.

I usually take him for a long walk in the morning and he gets a good snack when we return - usually a homemade fish cookie. I know I'm always hungry after a long walk so I figure he is too. :D

Deb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts