Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tyke has been eating Solid Gold's Hundchen Flocken puppy food since she was a little tyke (sorry, couldn't resist the pun!). When it's time to switch to adult food, I will probably switch to their adult Barking at the Moon formula (it has 6 stars on the dog food analysis website). However, Dog Food Analysis has a warning on its site that because this is such a high protein food, it's not advisable to feed it to puppies, especially large breeds. Tyke is almost 9 months old, and according to the labradoodle growth chart, has reached about 80% of her weight and 90% of her height (she is at 32lbs and 18 inches at the shoulder now). Based on that, she should end up about 40lbs and 20-21 inches. (more of a medium size). When would it be safe to switch her over? I probably have about a month's supply of the puppy food left, and would like to switch her over when that runs out, but is it too early?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it's because it's Friday and as Jimmy Buffett says "It's Five O'clock Somewhere!!!" (maybe Australia???) :lol:

G

·
My vet told me not until 12 mos. But since Maya was having such a problem with puppy food we decided it would be better to switch early. She is on Wellness Super5 Chicken mix.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point Megan, but I was wondering does that apply just to large dogs, or all of them? Tyke's projected growth on the growth chart really indicates she will be more like a medium sized dog (40-45 lbs).

·
Registered
143 Posts
I remember reading that they should stay on puppy food until 2yo, but I can't remember where I read it. I've been meaning to research this; good question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts