Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI, I just finished a really interesting book yesterday, Animals In Translation, by Temple Grandin. The author is an autistic woman who holds a PhD in Animal Behavior and has an animal consulting business.

She feels that since animals have a less developed frontal lobe capacity than humans, and because autism affects use of the frontal lobe, that she probably thinks and functions more like animals, and is better able to understand them than the normal person.

The book is chocked full of tidbits of wisdom, everything from why and how animals behave the way they do, and how to train around assorted behaviors. She also offers some insight into genetics, and the danger of breeding exclusively for a particular trait.

I bought the book a couple of weeks ago at my local CostCo warehouse.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am glad you posted this...I went online (Amazon) and found the book for around $5. I plan to get a copy!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I got this book from the library today. It looks really interesting. I also have a horse so maybe I will get some new insight into the way horses think too!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have started reading Animals in Translation (about 90 pages into it) and it is absoutely fascinating. I have worked with autistic kids and will be again very soon, so this book has offered me so much insight. The fact it also offers insight into the minds, so to speak, of animals is a bonus. I highly recommend it! :) It has had the "I can't put it down" effect on me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts