Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Darwin, too, is getting a "Valentine's Present" :twisted:
He gets neutered next week...
My question is, Does anyone know if there is any unusual precaution to take regarding anesthesia?
Many Greyhounds die while being put under, b/c so many vets don't know about their small tolerance to it. My vet was aware, but it still took a couple of days for him to walk without faultering after anesthesia. Took him about 10 hours just to wake up.

G

·
My dog Boyd came through just fine. All I had to do was restrict his water intake and no food after 8:00 p.m. the night prior. In fact, Boyd came bounding out of surgery as excitedly as he bounded into surgery. :lol:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It is a very simple procedure and most dogs come thru with flying colors. Just don't let them eat the morning of surgery. The hardest part is keeping them calm for a few days afterwards :)

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
The hardest part is keeping them calm for a few days afterwards
Totally agree on that comment. Denver was done one month ago and
he acted like it was nothing. It really was keeping him calm and quiet
afterwards that was the hard part.LOL

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ohhhhhhh i am soooo glad this topic is being discussed lately.

max is getting fixed asap...as soon as his digestive tract calms down.
Peanut has 2more months.

And I am sure i'll be a nervous wreck.

IF it makes you feel any better when MAX was 16wks old my vet had to put him under one night so we could figure out what was wrong with his face/mouth. He came out of it fine with no ill effects except he was wobbly for a few hours and we watched him around stairs etc. or rahter we carrried him i should say

·
Registered
260 Posts
many vets have "optional" pre-surgery bloodwork where they test for things like liver and kidney function, since these are the organs that filter the anasthetic chemicals out of the bloodstream. it can sometimes be expensive, but i highly recommend having this done. neutering a male dog is a fairly simple surgical procedure, as long as the testicles have both descended. if you're not squeamish there are some really cool photos of how it is done here:

http://www.thepetcenter.com/sur/dneut.html

kumo was neutered on tuesday, slept a bit more than normal on wednesday, and was back to his normal self by yesterday :)

-em

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree that the optional blood work is important, just be sure that they get the results before the surgery...mine didn't.
Also, ask specifically what could go wrong and (here is the important part) is the vet's office equipped for that possibility...if not, where is the nearest emergency vet facility and do they have an ambulance service...yes, an ambulance service.
99 times out of 100 things go well...but if they don't you need a vet who can handle the emergency situation. I don't want to scare you, but I learned from experience...my vet over-sedated a puppy and caused an emergency situation she could not handle, we had to drive 3 hours for help...later I found out that had my vet called, the emergency vet would have sent an ambulance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone who wrote in about this.
Any hints about how to keep them calm? I suppose crateing him would help...

I'm also wondering (well, I'll soon find out) if that "old husband's tale" is true about dogs being less crazy after neutering. :roll:
I have such mixed feelings about this--he'd make such a great dad! :lol:

Thanks again,
Darwin's mom

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, by the way, the only "options" the vet office gave me was to have pain meds for after the surgery. Now, that's a no-brainer! Who wants their baby to be in pain? :cry:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Charlie was fine with his neutering also - he was quiet the first day and didnt want to eat much but he had no problems with stairs so we closed the door and I just cuddled the whole time which he loves, he had no problems being upset about it either even when we went back - I was lucky enough that my vet had purchased his own labradoodles so he knew all about them. Charlie didnt change at all - I also thought he would make a great dad (I don not want to become a breeder, I just wanted the experience of being a gramma) so I checked with my breeder but she has her breeding boys - it is ok - I can always go back and get a cousin.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I'm also wondering (well, I'll soon find out) if that "old husband's tale" is true about dogs being less crazy after neutering.
The only change in Denver is that now when I walk him, he does not mark every single tree, fire hydraunt etc. He still marks some but nothing like before. Other than that, he is exactly the same crazy Doodle he was before(thank goodness) I love a crazy Doodle.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Other than that, he is exactly the same crazy Doodle he was before(thank goodness) I love a crazy Doodle.
SUE...want me to clone PEANUT for you? :wink:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Ok everyone i am joining the nervous crowd

MAX is being neutered tomorrow morning!!!!
ohhhhhhh he's my baby and Dave will take care of him from 6pm to 10:30pm till i get home
Dave's a great daddy but i know i'll be calling home every hour :roll:

Just got back from Vets...Max has clean bill of health and they want me to continue his special diet i make up for Max which includes supplements like :papaya chewables, omega and green algae.
The vet and I had a great natural getback to track doggie food conversation hahahhaa!! I told him back in NC on the island we didn't have vets or dog food back then and the dogs were quite healthy.

NOW Peanut on the other hand was wormed again...she has roundworms tho it's common in little puppies. Sooooo let's hope we don't go thru what I did with Max...saying prayers and keeping fingers crossed too. :wink:
YES she got another dose of worm meds today. She's only 15lbs at 10wks old. HE thought she was too skinny?

OH a few are familar with labradoodles and said Max was soooo small compared to the other Horseadoodles that come there :D :D :D
and Peanut is their 1st goldendoodle!!!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I have to have my 4 pound poodle put night night every time he gets a haircut (dont even ask)

anyway I spoke to an anesthesiologist from UCSD about it and he said there was no risk from repeated exposure - yeah! but he also mentioned the gas was safest. So now we do not do shots of anything, gas only.

G

·
OMG Mickey, I can't believe you have to anesthetize for a haircut! What are the logistics? Does the vet sedate and the groomer come to the vets office? (I know you said not to ask, but I am nosy and need details :lol:
Did you try just some oral sedation, like valium for dogs? Poor baby...do you do haircuts often?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
lol oh yeah its a good story

puppy got bit by great dane at 8 weeks. blood everywhere.... fast trip to emergency vet who stated dog will die leave it here. if it doesnt it will have seizures and be mentally debilitated.

Dog did not die!! Does not have seizures. Is a little "special!"
Has issues with scissors, towels, clippers etc and dont even try to touch his face!!

so yes I started with Ace to sedate and would hand scissor, it kinda worked but eventually he got wise (guess there are a few brain cells) and started biting at me the moment the ace would start to take effect! HE felt it and got mad. So then we went to sedation.

The vet in montana actually let me do it all! We would (well me cause they wouldnt touch him LOL) put him in an aquarioum specially designed to sedate cats (and little special poodles) and he would fall asleep (first time watching was a little weird) and he comes out and gets to get a little mask on and I shave him down, do his ears, and his toes. Got to where it took about 20 minutes! (And the vet charged $45 cool huh)

Here in Illinois I was able to talk the vet into it, but they wont let me there and they use a towel (poor thing) to cover him and give him a shot then sedate. I hate it but his toenails will curl and harm him and I cant find another way here.

The montana thing was THE BEST!!We were doing it about every 4-5 months depending on season. He gets a bit cold shaved off completely and of course he is anti sweater.

So that is angus's story :)

(well he has others like the time the electrician accidentally caught his leg fur in his drill and FORGOT to tell me...)

G

·
Poor Angus...can you imagine being scared of scissors and then the electrician gets you with the drill???? Poor baby!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts