Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have issues with their dog's anal glands? On two separate occasions, Lucca has release some fluid (oil) from her anal glands. This is really bad smelling...and hard to was out!

The first time it happened was just a few days after a grooming. The groomer said her anal glands were very full and that they could have released a little more by themselves. Now, the second time around it happened about a month after a grooming. So, I took her into the vet and they said her glands were once again very full and that I should bring her in once a month to get them checked and drained is necessary.

The vet said this generally would not happen unless the dog gets overly sacared..which was not the case on either occasion.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience this issue. Everyone says poodles are know to have anal gland problems. The only problem we are having is that the fluid is coming out. I have never seen her scooting her rear end on the carpet or anything like that. Lucca is now 11 months old. She weighs 45 lbs.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
YUCK!!!

I have a groomer who tries to express our poodles' anal glands and I think that most groomers can do it, altho it might be for an extra charge of course.

I have a 10yr old Lab who's had infections from the anal glands getting overfilled, so I commisserate with you, but commend you for dealing with it regularly. better than getting infections for sure.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Try feeding him some greenbeans every day (I like a small handfull of the frozen ones, you can thaw them in a little warm water from the tap or just throw them into their bowl frozen, sammy loves them either way... but others use canned low salt ones too).

Many people SWEAR by feeding some greenbeans every day to keep the anal glands expressed... not sure why or how it works but after a few days of musky behind we tried it and sure enough after two feedings and two poops the smell was gone!

the greenbeans are great for them so what the heck, I figured it was worth a shot!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Well, that's a first :) I sure hadn't heard of that one, but hey, if it works, you can't knock it :wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts