Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lovely topic, huh? I have a question for everyone...If your doodle has anal gland issues (i.e. needs to have them expressed, they get infected, etc) can you post what your doodle is (i.e. F1B labradoodle, F1 labradoodle)...I want to see if there are any trends :)

To answer, Dexter (F1B labradoodle) has always had issues w/his anal glands.

I was at the vet first thing this morning after he cried all evening/night. Turns out his glands are seriously inflamed...he's on meds now.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
none here for f1 LD and f1 gd's

·
Registered
248 Posts
They've never bothered Uma (F1- labradoodle), but she's had them expressed the past 2 times at the vet.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Layla has had her anal glands done several times. More when I first got her. She still scoots occaisonally, but seems to stop on her own which leads me to believe she expresses them.
Getting farther between having to have them done. Hoping problem fixes itself, but I am told it can be lifelong.
She's from a poodle dad, lab mom. I think that's F1?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Abby F1B no issues to date. She is Raw fed if that makes a difference :?:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well Rowen (f1) has never had any problems with his anal glands, but our vizsla has gotten them expressed about 3 times recently due to infections and then had to get them infused two times.. but for about two months now they've stayed uninfected!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you couldn't tell, what I am curious about is if more F1Bs have these issues. This time it came out of nowhere - he has been expressing them on his own, but this inflamation came out of nowhere and he was clearly very distressed last night. He is totally back to his normal self now (wow just one pill did a lot).

Thanks for the responses - I will keep looking for more :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you for that article! the vet told me (today) to add pumpkin to his diet so I think I will try that first but will def keep this in mind!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner, F1b, has had his expressed 2 or 3 times by vets....sometimes they release when he is startled or he barks..PHEW!!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen him scoot though.

He seems to be better the firmer the stool.

My daughter's cockapoo had frequent anal gland infections. Is it a poodle thing?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Likewise with Dexter - no problems to date (knock on wood)...he's an ALF2.

Tell your Dexter that we hope he feels better soon...poor thing crying all night... :cry:

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
annieG said:
Tanner, F1b, has had his expressed 2 or 3 times by vets....sometimes they release when he is startled or he barks..PHEW!!!!!!!!!!! I have never seen him scoot though.

He seems to be better the firmer the stool.

My daughter's cockapoo had frequent anal gland infections. Is it a poodle thing?
Nope, my pure bred Cocker had the same problem. I think it's just some dogs have that problem and some don't.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope, my pure bred Cocker had the same problem. I think it's just some dogs have that problem and some don't.
haha...so much for my research :) I thought I was onto something w/the F1B vs F1 thing ;)

Thank you all for the well wishes - Dex seems back to "normal". He is such a cry baby naturally that it's tough to know when it's for something real.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anal Glands

A dog I had used to have a lot of trouble w/them & needed them expressed often. Finally the vet recommended having them surgically removed. It was an easy surgery, she came home the same day, if I remember correctly, and we never had any more problems or odors again. I highly recommend it if it seems to be a consistent problem, especially if the vet bills start to add up if you have to take the dog in to the vet each time. I know you can do it yourself if taught how, but that never appealed to me.

Amy

·
Registered
189 Posts
As Jofi is my first dog, I know nothing about expressing anal glands. Jofi is 4 months old - how often should I get the vet to do this? Is it necessary for it to be done - how do you know if the dog does it him/herself? Is there some tell tale sign that they need expressing?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Tanner (F1b) has had his expressed by vet 3 times. He expresses voluntarily when he barks or is startled Phewwwwwwwwww!

My daughter's cockapoo had terrible problems with his getting infected. Maybe a poodle thing?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts