Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chouette seems to be a really thirsty little soul; she can put away amazing quantitites of water. I'll pour a six-ounce glass full in her bowl and she'll lap it up as though she'd just crossed a desert, and want more. Aside from the fact that her tummy swells up like a balloon it makes it a bit hard to housebreak her. I asked the vet about it when I took her in on Thursday, and he said she was probably fine and not to restrict water intake. Anybody else have a waterholic doodle? Or other insights?

For that puppy fix, here she is with her first taste of frozen custard:

Leslie

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
she is sooo adorable.....love her pink collar and leash!! We used to have one....Coco out grew three collars fast....and now she is in a leather one..but I saw a cute pink one again tonight at the store....may have to rotate them!

custard??? didn't know they could have that! shhh! don't tell Coco....she'd love it toooo much!!

I like Chouette, better than Truffle....it fits her.

Is she outside a lot? Coco drinks plenty of water, but I wouldn't say excessive amounts. I wouldn't worry.....since the vet said not to.
:) 8)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jane, she's not out that much; mostly just to relieve herself but we do walk around a bit, too. The pink and red collar was selected by Rachael, Maureen's daughter, as her traveling outfit. We just happened to have a nylon leash to match it among our dog supplies, so she could be stylish!

We've always given our dogs custard or ice cream, but just vanilla. Chocolate's poisonous to dogs, as you probably know. Our Great Dane wasn't nuts about it but she'd eat some. Chouette didn't eat much either nor would I have let her, but I think she enjoyed the coldness of it; it was a hot day!

I think Chouette fits her better, too. Also Truffle works for a puppy but I didn't like it as much for a grown dog. Maybe for a smaller one than Chouette will end up being.

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max and Peanut go thru stages where i swear they could make a CAMEL jeaous with the amount of water they drink and yes I also think perhaps they do it on purpose so they get to run out back more often :wink:

My floors get wet constantly hahhaa i trim Max's beard and wipe him off with a paper towel but then he goes back for more water.

it's normal especially with the weather getting warmer

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Annmarie! Nice to know it's not just Chouette. I don't think that she's figured out cause and effect, but while I was briefly trying to moderate her water intake she had obviously sussed out every other source of water in the house and was trying to make sneak attacks on the toilets!

Leslie

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Rive Rat i too went thru hell trying to housetrain Peanut due to the water intake....and we walked her so much i swear we were ice sculptures this past winter. Peanut's bladder took a LONG time to mature but it finally did. housetraining was a success just too embarrassed to say HOW long it took :wink: :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hector is a water buffalo, too. It used to worry me, too, but he's fine. Just makes for housetraining hell! :wink: Training my family to close the toilets has been even worse! Of course, I'm usually the one he comes and slops his mop of a beard on - if he did that to the kids, maybe it would help them remember! I'm getting ready to write with a sharpie on the inside of the toilet lid "Close and Flush!" :D
Jenny

·
Registered
333 Posts
Chloe is the same! And it is straight in, straight out...lol. She will drink for 5 minutes straight. Riverrat, how old is Chouette? Chloe will be 8 weeks tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hey, Chloe could be a sister!
How long have you had her, if she's only 8wks old now?

My heart goes pitter-patter to see your Chouette again!

oh, we're 'babysitting' ChouChou's brother this weekend and I couldn't believe how long he squatted to piddle after being crated! Looks like the crate training is working the right way, when we see that.

I think that limiting water in the evening - IF the activity is also calmer, so that they aren't panting from exercise or heat.

Thanks Jac, that is a GREAT article about water and dogs!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have had Chloe for a week but it feels like forever ago :). She has adjusted wonderfully although her older brother Chase still refuses to even look at her! :roll:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
are chloe's eyes really that blue?? she's adorable.

awh choette is so cute too! i think it's the summertime - Dexter drinks a ton of water now (especially likes drinking from the hose/sprinkler).

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Excellent article on water....

Glad I didn't pursue the squirt bottle to discipline Coco, but for a few times. She absolutely LOVES to follow the watering wand when I water the pots outside....She tries to drink from it....nearly attacking it....and her head gets completely soaked! She's not afraid of it, but is having a blast.
I try to keep it out of her ears.....
8)

Chloe is is another doll!!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jacque, I bookmarked that article about dogs and water. It's excellent! And Chouette is drinking less, and less frantically, now that I give her water whenever she needs it or whenever her bowl is empty. She also seems to be holding it longer.

Turtleaut, Chloe looks just like Chouette, except that Chouette's eyes are very dark brown. How neat! We have now had her for exactly a week, too! We picked her up at the Philadelphia International Airport cargo depot at about 5:30 last Monday. She's eleven weeks old now.

Maureen, isn't that an adorable photo of Chou? I did send you a copy as well! She is such a sweetie pie! The only time she gets rammy is when she's tired. Today I was in the garden picking beans and she had a close encounter with a box turtle; she really told her off. I don't know how well turtles hear but the turtle decided that discretion was the better part of valor and eased off. I guess she didn't know that my strawberries are about done; I keep catching them in my patch. But when Chou started picking beans out of my basket and digging in the rows I put her back in her crate where she slept quietly and probably thankfully for a good half hour.

Thanks for all the feedback re water. My only concern was that there might be something wrong, but reading others' stories and also Jac's article has set my mind at ease!

Leslie

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I LOVE that picture! Is she sitting on the counter at the custard stand?

I think Chloe's eyes are just reflecting the light of the flash on her lenses, they remind me of my Lab's when I look at her.

Glad all is well with Chouette.....we're so hot here, hope she (and you) are enjoying cooler weather, at least a little bit!

·
Registered
4 Posts
thirsty

my doodle Izzy is very thirsty to. She is also a very messy drinker. I do limit her water in the evening or she wopuld have to go out in the night. She is only 6 months and 60 lbs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts