Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just a quick question. I'm feeding Napa Royal Canin Medium Breed Puppy food. On the bag, it says he should be eating about 2.5 cups. I'm feeding him twice a day. We can't do 3 times a day, because our class schedule makes us leave around 1-2 each day, so there's no time for Napa to "finish business." But in the morning, he's only eating about 3/4 of a cup of kibble, and at night he's only eating about 1 cup.... give or take. Should I be concerned? Is there something I should try? I'm going to the Vet on Weds for some more shots, but I'm not actually seeing the Vet.

Also, he's been eating bully sticks.... and loves them. Should I be limiting these?

Thanks

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well.... I bought 3 when I went to the store. I gave him one. The DBF thought he was being nice and gave him another one, and he found the last one--- I didn't do a good job hiding it. He has started two of them. But none of them are any where near demolished. He's probably eaten an inch on both of them, but he's had them since last Weds.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
The bully sticks are not a problem then Kristen
Denver ate 4 cups at that age and I got the go ahead from vet to increase it to 6 cups as he was still too hungry. Talk with the vet(when you can or if you are worried) but if Napa seems fine on the amount given, meaning he is not licking the bowl clean and desperately trying to find more like Denver did then he is fine.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max was like Denver...6 cups a day
Peanut as 5 cups a day

now they're down to 3 cups a day ages 14mos and 9mos

i'd ask the vet and also like Sue said, doodles let you know when they're hungry :wink:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Our Hershey never really ate more than 2 cups a day. We stopped kibble at 6 months because she just wouldnt eat enough. As long as the puppy is gaining wieght, has lots of energy i wouldnt worry too much. you could try some yogurt or grated cheese on top of the food to make it more appatizing if you want to encouage the puppy to eat more.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Yeah Dexter would wolf down 5-6 cups a day when he was younger. He still would, but the vet said we need to cut him down to 3-3.5 cups per day. I never understood a dog not wanting to eat until we got Kirby who we have to beg to eat his 4 cups a day (he needs to get fattened up a bit).

I would talk to your vet. Is Napa getting a fair amount of exercise? I saw an episode of the dog whisperer last weekend where a dog wasn't eating much because he wasn't exercising enough.

By the way, Napa is absolutely adorable. Can you please post more photos??

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, exercise might be it. He ate a lot on Sunday, but we had Anthony's dad and friend here, so there was a lot of excitement. But he was back to not really eating yesterday. Its hard for me at the moment, because on top of everything else that I'm dealing with, my grandfather is doing horribly. So, I'm 3000 miles from my family when we really should be together, and last night just wasn't a good night.

But I'll tell Anthony to play with him a bit today, and I'll play with him a bit more tonight, and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
{{{Kristen}}} I'm sorry about your grandpa.

As long as Napa is gaining weight, and seems to feel good, I wouldn't worry. Sometimes they just don't have a big appetite. When he wants more he will certainly let you know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts