Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have an amazing doodle whose learned how to escape his crate? Napa has.... apparently. I'm not home, but he's escaped on a fairly regular basis since I've been gone, with Anthony swearing he's double and triple checking that he's locked in. But Napa's had poop accidents in the house on the days that he's escaped. Apparently they're all over the house..... So, he's obviously not ready to have reign, and I wasn't planning on giving him reign for a really long time. He hasn't apparently gotten into anything, but I'm really not comfortable leaving him loose...

Anyone got any ideas I could start putting into place when I get back there tomorrow?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
or go one better...a Combination lock :shock:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Shadow escapes too - so we used to put a small lock on the crate until we finally realized he does okay in the Laundry Room when we are gone for a few hours. But he never did escape with the lock on it...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Whilst Dulcie has been a very clean dog, any of her pooping in the house was always a 'silent protest' at being left alone, rather than inability to hold until our return where she'd be let outside. She would also escape her crate and we found she was happiest if we made sure she had a walk first, then left in the laundry room, with the crate open, radio on BBC 4 & a stair gate on the door. As a pup we'd leave newspaper by the backdoor.

Also, don't let the dog see that the poop bothers you & don't clear it up when they can see you - otherwise it puts them in a higher rank position than you!

Hope this helps!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hehe...that's funny that he figured out how to get out - luckily Kirby hasn't :)

Do you have a room (with a floor) that is puppy proof and you could maybe close him in there instead? Not to be a worry wart, but I have heard stories of puppies hurting themselves in the process of getting out of their crate.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i used to have a couple of beagles that would try to escape our tent at night when we went camping. they would use their little noses to push the tent zipper open, and off the would go!! so, we put detachable keychains (like the ones below) on the zippers. we could fasten them closed so the dogs couldn't get out, but we could still get out ourselves pretty easily. it worked well for us -- maybe you could do something similar with the crate?

-em

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the suggestions!!

We don't really have a room that's "puppy proof". We're fully carpeted, besides the bathrooms and kitchen. In addition, with all the expenses we're racking up with Napa's surgeries, we really can't afford to have him tear up anything while being left alone, especially since we're renting.

I also wanted something that would allow us to get in fairly easily but keep him in. God forbid something should happen while we're gone, and someone else has to go into our apartment and get him. So, I wanted something that would be easy for humans to figure out.

He's got a metal crate. But I'd be the first to admit it isn't the sturdiest. We got it from Walmart, and when I left, the door was already starting to bend.

I'm flying home now.... so hopefully I'll be able to figure out what's going on.... Last night Anthony tied the leash around the door, and Napa managed to loosen the knot AND open the crate.... It's crazy.

I'm also wondering if its not a dominance thing. Anthony's not exactly the best "leader" so we'll see when I return what happens....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Willow has not made a serious attempt to escape the crate yet -- but my border collie did. The door was never the route of choice with Cici -- she dismantled the wire crate from the inside.

There are a few good suggestions here for securing the door. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts