Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I'm new to the forum. We got our doodle 2 weeks ago. One of the things that really surprises me about is Hershey is her appetite. She is 8-weeks old and eats 4 times a day. We portion it out so that she is getting about 2.5 cups for the whole day. But she gobbles it up as though she hasn't eaten in a week. She will also drink almost any amount of water that is placed before her.

Do doodles just have that kind of eating habit? Am I not feeding her enough? Is this an indication that she is going to take after her 95 lb. father? She weighs about 15 lbs right now at 8-weeks.

Bryan

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't know the answer but I had to post when I saw your username and your puppy's name lol! Your Hershey is so pretty! She looks a lot like my Cocoa.
I read somewhere that puppies should have food out all the time so we have been keeping their bowls full, are we doing it wrong? I thought we were supposed to switch to feeding times when they were past 6 months old but I can't remember where I read that so maybe I made it up lol!
:D Doodlemom

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MAX ate like a horse for the till he was 4 1/2mos old...eventually he stopped, meaning he only eats what he wants and walks away.

max still drinks enough water to make a camel jealous!!!!
dripping a path behind him wherever he may go :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver also ate like a horse at that age, my vet advised 6 cups per day.
he is now seven months old now and is down to twice a day with a bowl of dry left out at all times No longer does he eat like there is no tomorow.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ginny is such a strange eater. I put her food down twice a day and leave it down for about 20-30 minutes. She usually just nibbles at it. I don't think she eats anymore than a cup out of the bowl at a time.

I feed my Great Dane at the same time in a different room. As soon as Logan is done, Ginny runs into his room and starts cleaning up anything he didn't eat like its prime rib.

The bizarre thing is that its the exact same food.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
ANDREA...it's like kids...similar to My Favorite toy is when someone else has it! :wink:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Since your Hershey is 15 lbs at 8 weeks, I'd say she's well on her way to reaching her dad's 95 lbs.

Our Bailey was only 5 lbs at 9 weeks and today is 21 lbs at 16 weeks.

A good rule of thumb for figuring their adult weight is this....
Double their weight at 4 months old and add 5-10 lbs. This will give you a good idea.

On eating quickly, I don't know. Bailey eats about 2 1/2 - 3 cups per day. We give 1 cup in AM and add which she doesn't finish, then add 1 1/2 to 2 cups to her bowl in the afternoon. By bedtime, she has eaten it all. But, she eats a few kibbles, plays, eats some more, repeat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice and stories. I guess as long as she's eating lots of food and staying away from the rocking chair, baseboards, newspapers, mail, shoes, pillows, carpet or drapes then we're doing good! :lol:

Bryan

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
exactly!! and whats a little baby fat anyway? if she starts to get fat or the vet thinks she needs less you can trim down then :)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
She is adorable!
Puppies have a ton of energy and as long as she is very active, I wouldn't worry about the food thing.
I free feed and find it very funny that sometimes my dogs just look at me like they are teenagers and I am feeding them spinach...and they won't touch the stuff...but I get up sometimes to find them eating in the middle of the night!
I only have one dog that is heavy...and she is so Labby that she just looks like a Lab, big neck and shoulders, big blocky head...she seems heavy to me compared to my others who are more Poodly.
Keep the water handy...they drink A LOT!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Look at that face! Hersey can have whatever she wants!!!!
We called Chester an attention deficite eater---he'd get distracted, wander of,f comeback, take a bite...Archie is a gobbler.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max will ONLY eat his dinner if he has company !! i am serious hahhaha
ME or another family member has to sit at the table and then he eats.
He's been this way since we got him. hahhahaa

Then again maybe he doesn't like to eat alone

1 - 12 of 12 Posts