Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here, and just ran a bunch of searches to see if I can find the answer but nothing seemed to be on point.

We have a 5month old labradoodle that has started to shed (puppy coat). Prior to this, he has been fine - no shedding. My mother in law who is allergic to dogs has been over with our dog in prior months, and has not had any allergic reaction, until today.

Does anyone know if the recent shedding would have something to do with this? Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
MY two doodles ALSO shed at the same age and they were blowing their puppy coat which went on and off for 2mos.

So unless your doodle goes bald hahahaaa I wouldn't worry

and welcome!!! :D
PS you can a search using the word Shedding or even blowing puppy coat

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
your pup shedding could def be setting off MIL's allergy's more doggie dander flying, plus if she has any outdoor allergies - fall can be a really bad time - I know it is for me so that could be adding to it

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hello and welcome!
The shedding is probably blowing the puppy coat (there are tons of notices about that, so give it a try in the search engine, I think you will find a lot.)
This happens between 5-12 months and is common with every dog, every breed, even Poodles. It should not affect your mother's allergies, though, I don't believe. So, the allergies could be due to things your dog is around. Does he go outside and play with other animals or where other animals frequent? If so, he could be bringing their dander or fur into the house on his coat. It could be pollen sticking to his coat from outside, or it could be something like the grooming products used on him.
Of course, it IS possible that your mother is reacting to him ... that happens sometimes. I hope that it passes. In the meantime, pay close attention to the outside influences and the products used on him...and brush his coat every day before he comes into the house.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we have bad allergies in my house and I just thought of something.

I sweep daily for just a few minutes since Max still sheds , not alot but if i let it build up for 4 days my allergies will start to kick in usually though during colder weather when all the windows are closed.
Even without a dog my body and son's too with our allergies have to adjust to our own home each fall/winter with the windows being closed, heat being turned on.
I also try to clean the duct venting out with my vacuum too.

brush your doodle daily if you can and sweep it up,,,,it may help out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the replies!

Yes, our vet told us about the blowing the coat. I guess my question is more - does the puppy shedding (blowing coat) create a situation where a person with dog allergies might have a reaction, even if they hadn't in the past?

I do see what you are saying about the dog basically carrying the outside allergens in on his coat - making things worse.

Thanks again...!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
notforyou23 said:
Thanks for all of the replies!

Yes, our vet told us about the blowing the coat. I guess my question is more - does the puppy shedding (blowing coat) create a situation where a person with dog allergies might have a reaction, even if they hadn't in the past?

I do see what you are saying about the dog basically carrying the outside allergens in on his coat - making things worse.

Thanks again...!
read my reply above again...as the answer is YES or at least for me and my son that is.
When Max sheds a bit more than his usual tiny bit I sweep for a few minutes daily and sometimes do a quick mop too. If you let it collect for more than few days maybe there is something in the undercoat ???not sure but will say my allergies kick in if i don't keep the hair off the floor

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Autumn if Chloe is really that sparse with hair then i'd say it is more than blowing puppy coat and
1.call the vet
2.think of switching foods and/or add supplements

1 - 9 of 9 Posts