Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are anyone else's doodles having seasonal allergies? I just gave Dexter some benadryl - the poor dog sneezed like 10x in a row :shock: Kirby is clearly affected too...he was having eye issues, but the benadryl quickly cleared him up. Our vet said it's been a bad year for humans and dogs...is it affecting anyone else?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I'm having problems with Rumor and hot spots on his muzzle and itching. Put him on grain free food, and just ordered grain free treats. After a week if they;re not subsiding, guess it's back to the vet. That's why I just shaved his muzzle again, so I can keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Sandy sneezes anytime we go outside...but then so do all of us. I haven't tried any meds though because she is mainly an inside dog. I don't think Shadow has any issues though.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Thankfully Annabelle has not shown any signs of allergies, my allergies on the other hand have been worse this year, as they have been for many people I know

·
Registered
429 Posts
Oliver is fine so far. Hopefully he will not develop any allergies. The rest of us are sufferfing though. Just call me sneezy! :?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
gene said:
I'm having problems with Rumor and hot spots on his muzzle and itching. Put him on grain free food, and just ordered grain free treats. After a week if they;re not subsiding, guess it's back to the vet. That's why I just shaved his muzzle again, so I can keep an eye on it.
My vet warned us that some dogs get worse on grain free... Sandy was one of them! The ONLY food that has worked for him so far has been the Dick Van Pattens Duck & Potato! Good luck!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well it's amazing what a little benadryl will do. After just one dose Kirby's eyes totally cleared up. I don't want to have to give them too much so I am trying just one tablet now in the morning to see if it keeps them under control. Dexter seems much better on it too. I guess I'll give it a few days and then try to stop dosing to see if they are ok w/o it.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
well we just discovered today that Peanut is having severe allergies to possible pollens and on prednisone tabs and eye drops and later this week will be on benydryl
too.

guess what? i have to wear rubber gloves to administer antihistimines cause i am have a life-threatening allergy to ALL antihistimines :roll:
so this will be fun

KRISTIN...why is grain free worse for allergies? as many use grain free due to allergies

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Casey is taking Benedryl also for allergies. I think that it is funny that dogs that were breed for those with allergies, suffer from allergies. Casey takes one in the morning and one at night. If she doesn't her eyes get all red.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Chip is having allergy symptoms for the first time too. He has eye buggers and sounds like he's trying to clear his throat quite often. No sneezing, but something's up. The others all seem fine.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm finding an every other day pill of benadryl is helping out Kirby :) I try to drug them the least as possible.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I may have to start the benadryl for Rumor. He's got some of his muzzle hot spots bleeding now. Probably will do the Vet thing on tuesday..... :roll:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Leslie as you and others know, Peanut just joined the list of allergies this season

we're not using benedryl yet though still on prednisone, eye drops and antibiotics

·
Registered
385 Posts
Manchego has had swollen lymph nodes since the beginning of April. My vet tested the fluid and she thinks its allergies to the environment. He doesn't really have any other symptoms other than a few sneezes here and there and since I've been giving him fish oil and vitamin e his eye boogers have gone away.

I wish the lymph nodes would go down though. I just hope the allergies don't wear down his immune system.

Hopefully the allergy season will be over soon!

:)
Sarah

·
Registered
42 Posts
Our Doodle Barkley had terrible allergy problems so I finally broke down and had an allergy test done at the vet.

I was very surprised to find out he is allergic to eggs, cow's milk, and yeast. So though I had him on California Natural which is a good food for him his treats were not egg,milk and yeast free. Another amazing thing is that when he came to me at 6 mos old he had been having horrible stomach issues from his previous food, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. I checked those ingredients and egg product was right up at the 2nd line!

My vet said that the dosage for Benadryl is 1mg per 10lbs. So Barkley can get 3 of the 25mg tablets since he is 75lbs.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
annabelles mom said:
Thankfully Annabelle has not shown any signs of allergies, my allergies on the other hand have been worse this year, as they have been for many people I know
You and me both, Mary!!! :cry: At least Tyke seems ok!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sadie just started sneezing today and I don't know if it's allergies or what.
I guess we'll just wait and see. Do dogs get "colds"?

G

·
I think my girls had something last week. They both were sneezing and coughing for a few days. Also when they woke up they had eye boogies!!! I noticed this on Weds and by Fri when we got back to NC Maya was completely fine and Sadie had a little cough but only in the am after eating. They are both fine today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts