Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone--it's been awhile since i've written about "luther", he's now 5 months old, his apricot and cream coat is beautiful, he's the love of my life and almost a perfect dog in every way that counts! I couldn't be happier how he's turning out! about 2 weeks ago his eyelid turned reddish, i thought maybe him and my little scottie terrier had been wrestling around again, so i paid attention to it every day. i came home from work at 11:30 a couple of nights later and saw the eyelid quite red---since it was so late, i put triple antibiotic cream on it. a bit later luther started itching so i gave him a nice oatmeal bath. after i dried him off, i almost died when i saw his eyelid, it blew up like a balloon!! i immediately put ice on it and that helped alot. next day at the vet, the vet told me heahad an allergic reaction to one of the ingredients in the cream i put on him. he gave him a shot and a different antibiotic cream for his eyelid. it's been 2 weeks, everything is back to normal but today i noticed his eyelid turning red again. his eyes look almost swollen and so sad. my vet has moved away and now i made an appointment at the end of the month with a new vet to get luther neutered. do you guys think this could be a food allergy? he's on science diet, large breed for puppies. should i wait 6 days till he gets to the vet or should i take him in sooner? he's not been interested in his food like usual, and today he ate and threw it right up. he's been a bit "lazier than usual but then tonight my husband was playing fetch with him and said he seemed alright----what do you guys think? this board id a godsend to me, i'm reading it all the time. thanks, debbie[/b]

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I would take him in right away even if it is a food allergy they can still give him a shot for some relief. Science Diet is a good food but that doesn't mean there isn't something in it that isn't agreeing with his system. Poor guy keep us posted on what they say.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Debbie,
I agree with Linda, the vet should take a look.
My dogs have had yeast infections in their ears, since we have had such a wet winter here, and I noticed that the problem moved to Rosie's paws, belly and her eyes too.
Yes, you can get meds for the problem...whether it is allergic reactions or yeast infection. And, yes, diet plays a roll in both.
Here is a medical site about red eyes in dogs:
http://www.cvm.uiuc.edu/petcolumns/show ... .cfm?id=65
Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi guys---i went home from work last night and studied luther's eye and it did look better. i'm back to putting the antibiotic ointment that the vet gave me and it seems like it's working. maybe i just didn't put it on long enough. since luther goes to the vet in 4 days, i called the new vet and he's going to be looking at luther before his neutering. oh gosh, getting him neutered is bothering me awful!! luther is so gentle, smart, beautiful and loving that i want "little luther's " soooo bad!!!! when i read that article on "pet's red eyes", it was very, very informative---thank you!!! i must admit that it scared the " poop" right out of me when it said a gland had to be operated on! what goes through my mind is why didn't the vet even mention that , he just gave a shot and the antibiotic ointment. here's hoping the vet didn't see anything more serious when he saw him about 2 weeks ago. ( and now i start praying that this new vet won't see anything serious either! ) i'll let ya's know how luther makes out---thanks again! debbie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ah, Debbie, I am sorry...I didn't mean to send you scary stuff...I must confess, I just looked at the headings and thought it sounded helpful...don't worry about the scary stuff...if there was a chance that it was something serious, I am sure that your vet would have said so.
You have enough to worry about with his neutering...but that really is an easy operation (as operations go!) He will recover very quickly!
I am glad that the meds are working, that is a sign that your vet is on the right track.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Debbie, Is the eyelid just red or is his eye tearing? Is the lid turning in where the lashes are poking his eyeball? If not (because a vet has seen him) I'm sure he will be fine with the ointment atleast until your neutering appt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi--it's me, debbie! jac--i'm so glad you found that article on "red eye" and forwarded it me. i believe that you can't have too much knowledge about these things and it is great going in and talking to the vet with that knowledge. now if the diagnosis changes, i can follow his conversation better. so please don't apologize for sending that article my way---lordy, lordy, i'd be scared if he had a chipped toenail--ha! it is just a red eyelid and if i don't put the ointment on, it swells up and dosen't seem to go away by itself. there are no tears, no turning in of the eyelid and i can't see where it is itching or bothering him. his eyeballs are clear and white, but under his bottom lid is red. maybe they are supposed to be like that though. it's tough, the doodles seem to have the precious "sad eye" appearance anyways. i called the vet's office today that initially treated him and had a talk with them--they told me that if it was more serious they believe the vet would have picked right up on it. i have to go get his records monday and the old vet will be informed of the conversation i had today, so he'll talk to me then. and then the next day, the new vet will be seeing luther. so between the 2 vets monday and tuesday, i think luther will be in good hands. i'll be hoping and praying that it's just a little infection that is treatable or even a food allergy. switching foods is no big deal to me and luther will eat anything anyway (if i let him). thanks guys! debbie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wannadoodle---you make me feel better because he has none of what you asked---thanks for letting me breathe easier! debbie

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Debbie!
Whew! I am glad to know that you and I are on the same worry level!
I take my dogs in to the vet all the time...I think that I am paying for her new office equipment! LOL
Chase has had red eyes a lot too, it is conjunctivitus (sp?) and a little salve does the trick.
You are right, these dogs have the most marvelous sad eyes! Don't you just love their expressions?
Let me know what your vet says, I'll be interested in hearing what they decide!
Take care, Debbie...your baby will be fine!
Jac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts