Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has some nasty allergies and we're not sure to what. His eyes are constantly blood shot. That and he scratchs and itchs quite a bit....to the point sometimes of giving himself scabs and rashs We've had him on Venectol-P (SP?) for some time but once he's off he goes right back too scratching and red eyes. We've tried about three different foods and get the same result so I'm thinking it's not a food allergy. I'm guessing it's eviorenmental? Anyone else experiencig anything like this?

Anyone ever brought a dog to an alergist?

G

·
We had a poodle a few years ago who had terrible allergies- he would itch, scratch and cry, it was really sad. After many, many visits to the vet, and trying many different types of foods, we found that it actually was food allergies, he was allergic to EVERYTHING except fish and sweet potato, there is one brand that makes this combination, I forget the name, but it worked like a charm! We found that if he did get a treat, or something off his diet, that benadryl worked to calm the allergic reaction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My 11 month old, Maya, had terrible allergies when we first got her....she'd bite at her paws and had bad ear problems which the vet said was allergies. He put her on a strict diet-no treats and the food was Eukenuba I think (from our vet) and he then switched her to Royal Canin HP (also only available from the vet and is very $$), which she is still on and her allergies have mostly cleared up and she's able to have treats now as well.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon is allergic to corn, which is the staple to most grocery store brands of dog food. But she developed this allergy just this fall, even though she might have had it all along and it just came out recently. She would scratch and her eys will water and look like she was hung out. Since we've switched to a dog food without corn, she's much better. She still gets the omega 3 oil to help with the dry skin, but she doesn't shed anymore and my son-in-law is no longer allergic to her. Kind of strange how it all fits together!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
most dogs they say are allergic to corn and many to wheat.

I would start there. There are almost single ingredient dog foods, I am thinking in the science diet prescription line. Its a good place to start to see if its food related, generally it is. Then once stable a different more cost effective food can be tried. The above mentioned Blue Buffalo and the Nutro Natural Choice Sensitive seem to be the common ones that doodles with allergies tolerate and well at that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts