Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I have newly registered with this forum to seek your advice on Australian Labradoodles.

We are looking for our first dog, and we have settled on a doodle - goldendoodle or labradoodle - as our choice. We were attracted by their playful and eager-to-please nature, reputation for low shedding, and the possibility of a miniature-to-small size (i.e., less than ~45lb at maturity, on average). A number of our friends have goldendoodles, and we have fallen for them after a couple of months playing with these wonderful dogs.

I have been looking at Australian Labrador breeders from the gooddog.com website, and I have been impressed by these breeders details on the dogs' health. However, I have the following concerns. Can you please guide us?

1: How healthy are the labradoodles in general? I understand that there are factors such as genetics, environment and handling/lifestyle that can all affect a dog's health; however I am looking at this in a more general sense.

2. I see that several breeders consistently report that the Penn Hip scores for their dams and sires is between 0.4-0.5 range. Why do labradoodles have high Penn Hip scores? Are they at greater risk of developing hip dysplasia later in life? (Reference: Lagotto Romagnolo Foundation, Inc. for interpreting Penn Hip scores)

3. Australian labradoodle breeders emphasize the "purebred' nature of their dogs. Is there a danger that this "purebred" obsession will lead to health concerns similar to German Shepherds?

I have submitted the initial application to a few breeders, but I hesitate to move forward until I can address the above issues.

Can you please help me better understand the health of the Australian labradoodles?

Thank you.

Regards,
Neel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm a middle school student and I am currently working on a sort of 'research report' concerning the health of Labradoodles. It would help me immensely if you'd take 2 minutes and answer few short questions. Thank you so much in advance...

(Eventhough you may be asked to fill out your email address, I will not be seeing it, nor will I be collecting it - your answers will remain anonymous)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts