Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woo-hoo...I having bragging rights in regards to 8 month old Abby :D Our dog trainer encouraged me to have Abby tested Saturday for the AKC Canine Good Citizen Certification, which entails 10 steps that the evaluator will ask you to have your dog perform without using the leash to correct....yeah, try that with a doodle puppy :shock: We went to the park and was watching the dogs go through the testing in a roped off area to get an idea what we were up against. Well, Abby wanted to sniff butts, piddle, poo, plus cuddle up to everyone :roll: We were 20th in line and as I was watching these well behaved dogs I am staring at my monkey face wondering how in the world we would get through this without me being able to correct her with the leash - yikes :? Tick, tock it is now our turn. Luckily the evaluator happens to be our trainer since she was 4 months old so he knows her personality very well. We get through the first few tests just fine...accept a friendly stranger, sit politely for petting, evaluator brushes her, examines her ears and each front paw, but then the fun begins (sigh). I have to walk her and turn left, turn right, about turn, stop, etc. She is starting to go into "doodle mode" :twisted: I could feel her wanting to go play with all the dogs "outside" the area and of course, I can't correct her, but somehow we make it through that portion. Luckily, I kept being reminded I can talk to her as much as I want and the part of the test where I have to take her leash off and put on the 20' lead is when the real fun began :shock: She decided to wrap the 20' lead around herself, chew on it and start doing her "doodle antics" :roll: I was sweating at this point and the evaluator gave me several opporunities to correct her, which ended up with me YELLING at her to drop the lead, which amazingly she DID :D At that point she knew I meant business and to stop fooling around! I walked out 20' and made her stay. Walked back up to her, made her stay again and walked out 20' and had her come....she obeyed - yeah!!! We had to walk through crowds of people, other dogs, people with walkers (distractions) - whew. The last part of the test I had to have her lay down, stay with a stranger and walk out of site for 3 minutes. She couldn't have anxiety, whimper or leave. Okay, I was having MAJOR anxiety, but the little monkey stayed and she PASSED the test :D The evaluator told me she was on the fence, but because I never lost control of her he passed us. I was the only person who had to yell at their dog to listen so I felt like a crazy lady, but my trainer reminded me she is only a puppy - that's right, a doodle puppy that is now CGC Certified, by George - whew :roll:

If you are interested in this certification you can go to the AKC website and download the 10 steps.

G

·
Congrats Abby!! My mom wants me to become a therapy dog but I'm such a little monkey now. Mom thinks I'll have to wait until I grow up a little!!!

---Maya

·
Registered
670 Posts
Way to go Abby!!! :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
YEAH - Abby Girl!!!

You and your FoodLady sound like a great team! Congratulations!!!

Woofs and Licks,
Ebbe and Mary

·
Registered
150 Posts
Amazing...congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment for an 8 mos. old pup! Angel is 8 mos. and she would have chosen to go play with the other dogs no matter how much yelling I would have done! :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
That is soooo awesome. You must have a special pup!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the kind words :lol:

I think the main reason for her accomplishment is I have the luxury to work from home so when I have a break I will take a few minutes to go through training motions, whether it is healing, sitting, staying, etc. I have a park right across from my house so I take her over there and go through the motions too. I have been doing this since she was 8 weeks old. My boyfriend thinks I am mean when I put a "cookie" down on the ground and make her stay for long periods of time. She has actually fallen asleep and forgot about her cookie, but it trains her to listen :D Not to say she ALWAYS listens, but that is just part of training and a whole lot of patience :wink: Doodles are smarter then I think most people give them credit for because they act silly, but that is their charm :D

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Alright ABBy!! wow only 8mos old too :shock: i am soooooooo happy for you

Max i think would pass only 2........and Peanut hahhahaaa --no way hahhaa

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, I (of course) am pleased as punch! Way to go Abby girl!!! But also...way to go mama!!! I KNOW what training it takes to make such a sweet faced girl do what you ask...they usually charm you right out of remembering what you asked them to do and they are so danged cute, that when you get flummoxed, you can't even be angry at them!
I would have loved to watch...you did very well, and so did Abby! 8 months old ... man that is really a feat!
(Did you know that her half sister, Pepper, was --at 7 months of age, mind you-- to the major fund raising event in Las Vegas for the Guide Dogs of America? Well, I tell you that because, kudos go to the trainers! You and Kari have done wonderful jobs!)
By the way, for some reason, Abby's picture is just an "x" for me... :cry: )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts