Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there! I am the owner of Charlie (our 7 month doodle) and have a possible problem. Two days ago my husband, Scott, and I took Charlie to visit my sister and her family. He's been there numerous times over the summer and a few times this fall and has been around my sister and her girls many times. But, on Friday, when we came in to their house and the girls (4 and 6) came to pet him he snapped (and tried to bite) both of them (within seconds of each other). :x Luckily, Scott and I were both crouched down next to him as we would be any time a little child would be coming to pet him. The girls both pulled their hands out of the way and were not hurt (thankfully!) but Scott and I were so upset. Scott immediatly put him in a down and stared at him while I dealt with the girls. He's NEVER done anything like that before. Not to anyone in the neighborhood, other friends, other kids. It was just so wierd and unlike Charlie. I think he may have been "protecting" Scott or jealous. Scott thinks Charlie just felt "closed in" and overwhelmed. Either way, it was unacceptable.
Then, last night, we were out getting some food at a curbside pick up place. Charlie was with us. When the first waitress came out he was happy to see her and she pet him with no incident. A second girl came out and pet him for a few minutes but then he started growling. Again, we've NEVER heard him growl at someone before. It was so strange. But, my theory of him protecting Scott may be partially true. He was sitting on Scott's lap when they were petting him.
I'm sorry this is sooo long, but I needed to explain the whole thing to paint a clear picture. If you have any advice at all, please help. The last thing we want is an agressive, jealous dog. This is so out of character for him we just don't know what to make of it. :( Thanks!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Wow, it does sound like Charlie thinks he "owns" Scott. Does Scott let Charlie "dominate" him? Does Charlie think he's boss? I think that Scott will need to correct and discipline Charlie every time he acts that way. There might be other areas at home that Charlie is dominating in and that should be corrected too. I'm sure Jac will have a link to a good article for you. I'm sure it can be corrected if you get the right advice and get on top of it right away. Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Charlie just loves Scott so much that he doesn't want anyone else in the way. Scott is in charge (as far as Charlie is concerned :wink: ). Charlie listens to both Scott and I and we've both had to correct him with different things (jumping, taking our shoes, etc). Charlie will jump up on Scott or I when we hug and if we are laying on the floor with him he will try to come between us. So, we've started making him "sit and stay" while we hug (to teach him that he's not the only one who gets affection and he'll have to wait). When the two incidents occured Scott definatly disciplined him. You could tell he (Charlie) felt sad and knew he was in trouble. We just need to know what to do to be sure this won't happen again. We've never thought he had any agressive tendancies. In fact, he's a little skiddish and sometimes shys away from people at first.

·
Registered
853 Posts
It sounds like you are certainly handling things right. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. I'm sure no expert and I would be asking questions myself if Doc was doing that. So far, so good, though. :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Jenny, I am sorry that you are dealing with this but I am glad that you are asking for advice because this can be a growing problem.
The first thing I suggest is taking your dog to the vet...if a dog is in pain, he becomes aggressive. You may not be aware of any pain...but if your dog is ill or hurt, he will act out.
Also, your vet can help you with suggestions for training or expert help.
But, don't wait...this type of behavior doesn't get better on its own...and even if your dog has a good reason for being protective, you don't want to have a bad experience that may cause your dog to be taken for examination...
Here is an article (yes, I usually find them :) ) that might help:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1597

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice and the article. I will check with my vet. We were just in there on Friday morning to check on his stitches (well, now just a healed spot) from his neutering operation from a few weeks ago. She gave him a bill of clean health in that area, but I'll call back and ask about the growling/biting incidents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts