Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!! Are any of your doodles in agility or have you considered agility? I am seriously considering agility training for Dakota. I think are doodles are natural athletes with the necessary energy and enthusiasm to pursue a sport like agility.

I am finding out that there is a tremendous amount of work Dakota and I have to do before he is ready for even the most fundamental agility introductory courses. Let me know if you think I have totally lost it! :shock: My husband thinks so!!! But I maintain with work and diligence on my part, Dakota (as well as the rest of our doodle community) has agility potential!

For any of you that are interested, here are some excerpts from an email sent to me by a local agility trainer.

Agility is a competitive sport emphasizing teamwork between handler and dog as they negotiate a timed series of obstacles. It is open to all dogs, of any size or description, which are physically and temperamentally suited to the sport. And it is great fun!

. . . It is not unusual for someone to be on a waiting list for 6 months to a year when waiting for an evening class with a top instructor. . .
. . . In agility it is extremely important that handlers maintain control of their dogs, and be aware of the dog's limitations. Because self control is so important for an agility dog, at Greytdogs Agility it is recommended that before one begins taking agility lessons that the dog has:
* a reliable 3 minute sit stay off lead at a considerable distance from the handler [DIFFICULT BUT DOABLE WITH WORK]
* an excellent instant recall [DOABLE WITH A LITTLE MORE PRACTICE]
* a 1 minute down stay [DOABLE]
* able to walk on both the handler's left and right sides on a loose leash without either cutting behind or in front of the handler [YIKES!]

. . . At Greytdogs, agility is taught using only positive reinforcement-no choke, pinch, shock collars, harnesses or flexi leads are allowed. Toys and food as rewards are encouraged, verbal corrections are discouraged, and physical corrections are not allowed . . . [DOUBLE YIKES]
. . . Training an agility dog takes a lot of time and a lot of WORK! A novice dog begins with ground work, putting a solid foundation on the dog before they are introduced to obstacles . . .
. . . As skills progress, dogs are slowly introduced to the agility obstacles and the fun begins. With a first agility dog, it can easily take one to two years of continuous training before a dog is competition ready . . .
. . . A semi-private class (with 4-6 dogs) at the beginning level when it started may be in the same time slot 3 years later but now be functioning at an advanced level with the same dogs enrolled . . .

So now tell me really, have I totally lost it?? :shock: :?

Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Well....my 5 month old is very smart, as I find most doodles are, but she is STUBBORN! My last puppy class is tonight and it is on agility...haha! She will probably pounce off the ramp and be a goof ball :roll: I don't think you are crazy and with a little work, plus lots of patience you could train Dakota :D I want to see Dakota on the next Purina Dog Challenge - go Doodle Dakota, go :lol: Do it for the team so we can all gloat and brag that a Doodle made it on TV :shock:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Kind of close. My goal for Dexter is to be a Therapy Dog, and for him to get his cert for that, and Canine Good Citizen. That's as far as my goals go for now, I think that's lofty enough for the time being.

I LOVE watching agility trials, and I love meeting agility dogs. So smart, right on the ball. I think it's great that you want to try it...good luck!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I thought about looking into Dock Diving for Cinnamon. She loves diving off our dock.

A local sporting good store had the dock diving dogs there for a competition last weekend. They had a time for practice then competition for beginners, too. I didn't know about it until we were there for fun, but I'm going to look into it. I think she would love it and I'm curious on how far she can jump.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
an excellent instant recall [DOABLE WITH A LITTLE MORE PRACTICE]
Denver could do this no problem......
If I was another dog with a big bone in my mouth calling him
Bahahhahahahahhahahaaa!!!!!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I'm laughing at the requirements before starting agility...let's see:

* a reliable 3 minute sit stay off lead at a considerable distance from the handler [I think we could swing this]
* an excellent instant recall [HAHAHA...are you kidding? If we have a treat/favorite toy or ask him if he wants dinner, his recall is outstanding, otherwise it's not happening.]
* a 1 minute down stay [Definitely could get this]
* able to walk on both the handler's left and right sides on a loose leash without either cutting behind or in front of the handler [HAHAHA...you should see our morning walks :)]

We initially wanted to do agility w/Dexter, but we're coming to realize he just doesn't seem very agile and he's actually pretty slow :) He is excellent at fetch/sniffing out toys. Maybe hunting would be a better activity for us :)

I definitely don't think you're crazy, it looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I do agility with one of my labradoodles. She is two and we have both been bitten by the agility bug. It is SO much fun and all of the dogs (and people) really enjoy it. That list sounds good- recalls and stays are VERY important in agility. I say go for it! Good luck!

Bridget (Summer and Duke)

G

·
Go for the Gold Dakota! And remember your friends when they give you the medal and play the national anthem for you :lol:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahaha!! You are all sooo funny! :lol:

What a grand goal Dexter has! I can just see Dakota as a therapy dog. A frail, kindly 80year old man would say something like, "Here puppy," and he would have a face full of 80 pound doodle!! :shock:

And dock diving! We've all seen Cinnamon's dock diving abilities! What a natural she is! Dakota is a huge fan of water sports and Cin is his hero! So if she starts dock diving, he, of course, will want to try it too! Cin needn't worry. If I recall the height of the competitive diving platforms, it would scare the "doodle" out of Dakota! :oops:

Thanks, all for the encouragement. I've been corresponding with the agility trainer and I will be observing one of her advanced classes in early August. I will then decide if I want to go on the waiting list for a space in her class! :wink:

Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
If you think you can handle it ~go for it!!
Coco is definitely agile enough, but she isn't too hot at minding me.....
when we practice commands with treats for obedience, she is perfect. but when she knows you want her to do anything "just because"
....she silently laughs and ignores.....

I would really have to work hard to get her into that class....
lots of things to perfect first....

I think I will still consider a therapy dog.....not as hectic and intense.....
not the same kind of exciting....but rewarding, I think.
Can you tell I am feeling old and tired tonight? :roll:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jane--therapy dog is a wonderful and very worthwhile goal! I wish you and Coco the best of luck! Dakota is also a 'I know what you want but I don't feel like doing it right now' kind of a dog. But at the wise old age of 19 months, I have noticed a lot of improvement! :D
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chewbacca did well in puppy kindergarden and we attempted agility...We will try again a bit older! It was just TOOOO MUCH fun to resist pulling the tunnels around and grabbing and chewing other obstacles while giving everyone the doodle "it wasn't me" look. He enjoyed showing off with blazing doodle dashes and enticing the "better behaved" classmates into impromptu chases...(that was at 6 months...we will try again at 1 yr).

Jim, Honey & Chewbacca

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I visualized that being the story if I tried the agility deal with Coco.....
though she is at times timid around other dogs, so she might have grabbed a tunnel and hid in it!! :?

or, zoomed around hysterically knocking everything and everyone over in the process of scoping it all out!! :shock:

I would have to wait til she were older and more mature.....her current skills perfected. :?

8)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:lol: :lol: :lol: You guys are so entertaining! I don't know what to expect of Dakota. He LOVES the other dogs--whether he's met them or not!! However, when he went to training, he would focus on the task at hand. Soooo, we'll see how he reacts at the ripe old age of 19 months. Frankly, I'm more worried about establishing control BEFORE we enroll in agility. We're taking short walks every night using only a flat collar. I have used the prong in the past to keep him from pulling. I'll keep you posted on our progress or lack of! :shock:
Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I anxiously wait to hear how it all goes....
19 months is a "ripe old age"
so dexter is probably better equipped to do the agility things...
sounds like he has learned a lot and is obedient....
so......
let us know how it all goes!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Good luck Diane & Dakota
Denver is too young for certain things right now
but I am looking for something for him in the future.
I am looking into Dog Dancing, but am very interested in what you think
about the agility classes. :wink:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts