Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a six month old doodle. He is very bright and attentive. My daughter is 13 and has taken him to puppy school and on to graduate puppy. She absolutely loves her puppy and is doing really well with him at school and at home training. She wants to go on with him. I'm just not sure what the next step is. I'm not familiar with any type of competition. I'm not expecting my daughter to get into any major competing. However, I do want her to continue taking Sherlock to some kind of class as it does wonders for both of them. Any suggestions or thoughts?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Wow! What dedication between your daughter and your puppy! I would definitely suggest going on, because if they have this strong bond now, that's only going to get better, and who knows she COULD go somewhere with him. I know with agility, you need to becareful with joints and jumping, etc. But I think there's classes to get started and the trainers are usually aware of the dangers of that. But, I don't really have any experience or advise about the next step. I'm still trying to get Napa trained and he's a year! Good luck!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My daughter is not into sports, or other extracuricular activities and she has had struggles in school. We had an Akita that she grew up with but had to be put down at 14 years old. She was devastated.

Getting a puppy was a huge decision for us. It is something that I wanted. It is also something I was hoping would help turn her around. When I tell people that I usually am told it is the wrong reason to get a dog. However, I went into this with the idea that it is my dog and my responsiblilty not hers. I wasn't counting on her taking off like she did so I am really impressed by her dedication. I started him in puppy kindergarten and brought her along. After the first class she wanted to take the reins and has done very well. She comes home everyday from school, does her homework then works with the dog. Not to mention that the puppy for the most part (keeping in mind he's only 6 mths old) is very well behaved. It's such a great thing for both of them. Her grades in school have improved. This is doing wonders for her selfesteem. I'm just not sure which road to head down next.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
you can do agility class or even consider Canine Good Citizen first
then she can go onto agility when your doodle is a bit older and all the jumping/training would be more appropriate to his age and not harmful in any way to his tendons/ligaments etc

I think it's WONDERFUL you got another puppy for you and your daughter
as you mentioned, its worked wonders for her :D

G

·
I am thinking of getting Maya into competition obedience (rally). I do not want her to go into agility until she is 2 so I don't hurt her joints. My trainer said that if you get them into rally first they will be really sharp on commands making agility easier

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would see if you have any 4-H in your area that offers a dog program. I went through that program when I was your daughter's age with my dalmation puppy. It will get her around kids her age with the same interests. I think programs usually start in October but you can start researching now. Here in Colorado they have competitions at local and state fairs for the 4H dog projects.

Heather

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We actually looked into 4-H a number of years ago. However, at that time our dog was a bit older and not up for any socializing. I may have to revisit that.

I ended up signing her up for puppy agility. This class focuses on targeting and preparing your puppy to do agility. Basically it is a training class that focuses on the skills needed for agility. They do not go through any obstacles at all.

I will most likely sign her up for one more class so that she can go twice a week. I discussed the obedience rally's and was told that the rally's in our area for competition are AKC and he wouldn't qualify to compete because he is a mix breed. I would like her to get the canine good citizen. Visiting kids in the hospital would be right up her alley. My SIL is a nurse practitioner at Children's Hosp in Boston. She could definately hook her up. It could probably serve as her required community service for High School. She'll be a freshman next year and will be required to serve so many hours each year in order to graduate.

Thank you for the great information and ideas.

BTW, I've never seen so many Heather's before. Usually I'm the only one :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts